Game-Labs Forum

Early Observations

Edgy

Well I bought the game a few hours ago and I've now had a few scraps so...here goes.

'Skirmishers' need to be removed I think, the days of units running around the field, totally out of sync with everything else that is going on, should be long gone by now. We used to see this quite a lot in early PC strategy/war games, it was a pain in the backside then, and it's a pain now. I could understand skirmishers being detatched from parent units, but as stand alone units they simply do not work & detract from the overall feel of the game.

Speed: Personally I think it is too fast, and the reason for this is morale. Morale is falling/rising so quickly that a lot of the time you get little or no chance to plan ahead, so even pausing is really no help. Once you get a significant number of troops on the field most of your time seems to be taken up with managing routing units as opposed to actually fighting the battle. 'Tactics' rapidly disolve into little more than plugging gaps. I'm pretty suprised to see this problem crop up here as the same thing was one of the major failings with Rome 2 Total War.

Cavalry: Have to admit that I am a little unhappy with the amount of mounted charges going on, especially early in the engagement. As most of you know, by this period, cavalry charging against infantry was little more than suicide, even cavaly/cavalry charges were rare.

Balance: So far it seems pretty good, up to now I've only really noticed one 'super unit' and that was the Bucktail Brigade who seemed to waltz around the field with impunity.

So far, overall, it's a job well done but of course there are flaws. Back to the fight and we'll see if anything else crops up.

Cavalry are your best scouts.  You want them for that.  Also, I believe thery were used quite a bit for flanking attacks during battle. 

It's not suicide if you hit an engaged unit from the rear.  That's full on homicide, amigo.  ;)

As stated elsewhere, when you order a unit to fire at a specific target, to then have your firing unit move off in pursuit is very annoying, especially if the firing unit is artillery.

Also, I know the Union XI Corps were not exactly the Army of the Potomacs best troops, and that they ran like hares at both Chancellorsville & Gettysburg, but having them turn tail and run after one volley is a little extreme game wise.

'Cavalry are your best scouts.  You want them for that.  Also, I believe thery were used quite a bit for flanking attacks during battle. 

It's not suicide if you hit an engaged unit from the rear.  That's full on homicide, amigo'

After first Bull Run it was quickly realised that the days of 'glorious' Cavalry charges were over (rifled weapons). Of course there were exceptions during the course of the Civil War, but they were very very few and far between. Scouting was indeed their main role, and when they did fight is was usually on foot.

Playing as the Union I'm seeing Confederate units charge way way too soon (sometimes they're not even bothering to fire), and too often. I understand that it's a mechanic of the differences between the two sides, and that early in the war a Rebel charge was a powerful weapon, but I still think it's overdone.

Hi Edgy and welcome to UG:G community. Also thanks for the feed back, some things you've noticed are under consideration and we try to find the best way to implement some stuff in the game. For example the issue of the speed/morale you mentioned, is also connected with the suffered casualties. The longer a unit holds (or the slower morale drains) the most casualties are suffered, so it needs a "golden rule" to be found here, since units do not replenish their casualties in this long battle. 

Hi Edgy and welcome to UG:G community. Also thanks for the feed back, some things you've noticed are under consideration and we try to find the best way to implement some stuff in the game. For example the issue of the speed/morale you mentioned, is also connected with the suffered casualties. The longer a unit holds (or the slower morale drains) the most casualties are suffered, so it needs a "golden rule" to be found here, since units do not replenish their casualties in this long battle. 

Hmmmm, maybe, maybe not. You could possibly add back a percentage of casualties taken to represent soldiers that were displaced during the fighting and who are now returning to their regiments.