Game-Labs Forum

Boats during battle??

All models in potbs, have those on deck...and why would you want lifeboat to be destroyed with cannon balls during battle, when it is hanging like that on the side?...

I believe modern ships and non combat ones (trading) had it like that, shown on the picture.

Nice Victory model btw...

storm I dont get if your pro or contra.

NVMD:

Boats were hoisted over board and towed astern.

When cannonballs fly and hit the small planks of such boats they will burst into lethal splinters flying around the decks and killing/injuring men.

Ofc. when you are surprised you cannot hoist them in time. But standart prozedure was to hoist them over board.

Therefore I wont appreciate boats on deck for this game. <- my opinion

Yep, boats towed astern, often with some valuables in. Chances of losing them much reduced.

See here.

And here (on right).

If you don't want the extra load of having towed boats being rendered in the game, just delete them completely (saves a few polys as well in the main models).

A really beautiful DUTCH ship and as a bonus another nice reminder. :-) (from an age we still were a player at sea...after the 3rd war it was pretty game over).

S!

Verhoeven

When the ship fires its guns the boat should not be there at all, its in the water being towed astern. If you don't want the job of coding boats being towed, my suggestion was to just not model them at all, at least those that hang on their davits foul of the cannon ports.

In your second image even with the lines raised, that boat's keel is still fouling the trajectory of the poop deck guns. Just the shockwave of the gun firing is going to blast that boat to pieces or sendit flying off into the sea at the first shot, even if the cannon ball does not touch it.

• Like 1

What Digby said. They were either towed or secured on deck. A boat in that position is being lowered for some reason, often for a quick boarding action at close range if the attacker couldn't arrange to grapple the enemy, but they were otherwise disabled. How quickly the crew could lower and man these boats was sometimes the difference between success or failure.