Game-Labs Forum

Should a Nation be able to 'win'

Really, we are all looking to find solutions to a false problem. Spanish lost many and many ports, and now there re frustrated... Well, I think, if y nation was in their situation, i'll work 200% hardest, and i'll try to find IG solution by diplomacy, by trying to regroup and motivate all my nation players, and lead my way to grow again... It can work, it can fail, but it was the game and all about in all game isn't success in all task but try its best. If, because a nation is in troubles, all captains stop playing or switch nation, the problem can't be fixed by dev, cause it's a looser human mentality problem.... Sry if it sound rude...

It sound dumb. The problem isn't about what the spanish did, or did not. The problem is about the game allowing this to happen, or not. Should it be possible for a group of players to prevent another group of players from playing the game? They bought the game, shouldn't they be allowed to play it? If you leave to a player group the possibility to drive another group of players out of the game, you can't expect everyone to be reasonable and stop doing this just because they can, and by doing so contribute to lower the number of players. There will always be a group of total douchebags that will do it because nothing make them happier to have their opponents ragequit. And i can guarantee you that currently, there's a lot of such players in the game. And once they will be the only players left, and the game will be dying, they will decide the game sux because there's not enough people anymore, and go find another game to wreck.

But in the meanwhile, the game will be dead... Welcome to POTBS 2.0...

It sound dumb. The problem isn't about what the spanish did, or did not. The problem is about the game allowing this to happen, or not. Should it be possible for a group of players to prevent another group of players from playing the game? They bought the game, shouldn't they be allowed to play it? If you leave to a player group the possibility to drive another group of players out of the game, you can't expect everyone to be reasonable and stop doing this just because they can, and by doing so contribute to lower the number of players. There will always be a group of total douchebags that will do it because nothing make them happier to have their opponents ragequit. And i can guarantee you that currently, there's a lot of such players in the game. And once they will be the only players left, and the game will be dying, they will decide the game sux because there's not enough people anymore, and go find another game to wreck.

But in the meanwhile, the game will be dead... Welcome to POTBS 2.0...

I'm not sure your comment on 'douchebags' is fair. If one nation, right by where you start becomes weak, it is tactically sound to exploit that and crush them. If that is good for the game is kind of behind what I was getting at with the OP and looking at a potential mechanic that would/could partially offset it.

• Like 1

I don't think a nation should ever be able to win for good. The game should ensure that if one nation totally dominates eventually all others form a super faction to oppose it, like what happened to Napoleon.

Personally I have no problem with some smaller nations becoming more or less permanent vassals of larger ones, since that's realistic. It should never be a situation where any nations are just completely cut off from any ports to land at though.

Alternatively there could be a system where if a nation gets conquered completely all the players in it become absorbed into the conquering nation, however, a nation that has absorbed another will give all of its members an option to join a secret rebellion faction that can use all the harbors while it builds up, and when it strikes and captures a harbor puts the conquered nation back on the map. That potentially gives some players that were previously part of the oversized conquering nation a chance to switch sides, since the best PvPers usually aren't interested in just being a Zerg faction, so joining a rebellion is a decent way for them to keep the fights coming.

Edited by Aetrion