Game-Labs Forum

Deck height off the waterline: What do we know?

NorthernWolves

I know for ships like the Victory, Hermione and Constitution a measurement like this would be relatively easy to find, but what of other ships that are in game?

I would really love to find reliable sources for this uncommon measurement. Ultimately I'd like to calculate surface area for the side of every ship and this is the one measurement that is never mentioned, bar acquiring the plans for each and every ship.

Does anyone have any ideas or sources?

• Like 1

Gundeck sill height? Sailing Quality Reports have those.

Or were you looking for overall freeboard?

Edit, if you are looking for surface area, than you need the freeboard, plus the area of the quarterdeck and forecastle bulwarks. Basically, you'd have to go look at the draught. Freeboard won't be recorded anywhere hardly ever, because as a statistic it's only relevant to stability. And if you've put the deck of a large sailing warship underwater, you've really fucked up, and there's no point doing calculations.

• Like 1

Yeah, need surface area, (RE what we are discussing in the test thread).

I could even make this work with doing what Cunningham suggested, because like you said, counting weevils would work. If I had plans all to the same scale, even without RL measurements, I could make it work, using mm or cm to convert, it all will still represent area relative to each other.

I just need the sources.

Come to think of it, you could get a rough measurement in-game.

The length of most vessels is known (whether on the waterline, on the gundeck or between perpendiculars). So take a broadside-view screenshot of every ship in the game, with the camera as low as it will go, then measure the length:freeboard ratio with any image program. That will get you the freeboard. Then just add a standardized bonus for full-height quarterdeck/foc'sle bulwarks, or a smaller one for armed decks with stanchions and hammock nettings for protection.

VI3Uj4Q.png

Quick and dirty.

Just a heads up: Those are 'Burgos' feet. Whatever the f**k those are.

• Like 4

Come to think of it, you could get a rough measurement in-game.

The length of most vessels is known (whether on the waterline, on the gundeck or between perpendiculars). So take a broadside-view screenshot of every ship in the game, with the camera as low as it will go, then measure the length:freeboard ratio with any image program. That will get you the freeboard. Then just add a standardized bonus for full-height quarterdeck/foc'sle bulwarks, or a smaller one for armed decks with stanchions and hammock nettings for protection.

VI3Uj4Q.png

Quick and dirty.

Just a heads up: Those are 'Burgos' feet. Whatever the f**k those are.

Perfect

• 3 weeks later...