Game-Labs Forum

Comprehensive Game Design Suggestions

So Im crazy and typed out a 14 page game design document outlining some systems and features that I would like to see in the game. I tried my best to work with what the developers have staed thier vision be for the game and with what they have already shown us in regards to the Open World and the real time instanced interactions.

You can find it as a Google doc here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gig612Qj-fTH7d927yO8tWlzjIwkOiQ4dj-85ts4l6w/edit?usp=sharing

I would mostly want to highlight my dynamic ship marking(allied, unknown, hostile), ship requisition, and ship flag systems.  I think that they could be neat additions to the game.

Ships and ports encountered in zones can be marked in one of three ways, either Allied, Unknown, or Hostile.  Players update their logs of Allied and Hostile ships by visiting ports, and likewise ports’ logs of Allied and Hostile Ships are updated by visiting players.  Most ships players encounter in the game will be marked Unknown until a player visits a large number of ports.  Ships and will be marked Allied if they are flying the same flag as the player and the player has visited a port that confirms that ship is allied.  Ships and ports will be marked hostile to the player if they attack the player, if the player visits a port that confirms the ship is hostile to Allies, or if they are flying the flag of a Kingdom the player’s Kingdom is currently at war with.

The player in Naval Action plays the part of a Captain of a ship.  The player only ever controls one ship, and can also be the owner of that ship. However, most of the time a player will only captain, and not own the ship they are currently sailing.  The owners of most of the ships in Naval Action will be NPC Kingdoms and Player Nations(guilds).  Players can requisition any ships that they have access to (determined by title, rank, Player Nation permissions) and that are available in the docks of the port they are in.  If the player requisitions a ship while already in one, their current ship gets put back in the pool of the of the NPC Kingdoms or Player Nation that owns it in the port they are in.  However, if the player is the owner of a ship and requisitions a new ship, their current ship stays in the docks where they leave it and is unusable to anybody but them.  This approach promotes the ability to sail new ships and do new things(fleet actions, combat, trade, exploration) but still retain the ability to have a personal ship that is just for the player.  All ships in the game that are player sailed are customizable, even the requisitioned ones.  Requisitioned ships keep their customizations when put back into the pool.  Since it is ship names, and not player names, that are displayed to non-allied players, the goal is to make every ship unique, even those that share the same class. Ships should become famous or infamous. Ships should be specific targets for capture or sinking.  Ships that frequent one area should be familiar to others that frequent the area.  A sudden absence or a new arrival is something to note and keep track of.  

Ships have the ability to fly two flags, one of a NPC Kingdom or pirate flag, and one of a player nation(guild). Control over what flags are being flown is done through a UI element(this includes striking colors, which replaces all flags flown with white ones) On ships that a player owns, both flags can be raised and lowered at will.  On ships requisitioned from an NPC Kingdom, the Kingdom flag cannot be lowered(except to strike).  On ships requisitioned from a player nation, the player nation flag cannot be lowered (except to strike).  This can allow a Player Nation to play for and against all NPC Kingdoms, even the ones they are allied with.  If players use their own ships, with the ability to fly nothing at all if they wish, they can be especially devious.

Thanks for taking the time to read some or all of it.  After so many pages, I kinda got tired, so its not complete, but I though I would share what I had so far. 

Feedback is always appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?  The linked doc is not a collection of forum posts, it is an original document.

I think he means that while your ideas are cool and good a lot of them have been seen here already in various reincarnations.

I downloaded the doc and started to read it. But, it is just too long, since the only reason for me to read it is to give an informed reply. It would help a lot if it was broken up in separate documents, each describing the topic at hand.

Cheers,

Brigand

Hello,

Congratulations, that's a lot of works you have done here and many thinking time I guess. Your suggestions are really interesting on many points which are not easy to resolve. I hope the devs will answer you and give their opinions on some of your ideas. Glad to see the commitment of the community.

Please, forgive my English.

Cheers.