Game-Labs Forum

Ship Captured by a dead man

Helbent

I was doing a mission last night in my Victory against a single AI Santissma. The Santi started sinking, so I slowed down so I could loot him after he went under. However, he pulled me and started a boarding action before he sunk completely (woops!). I figured it was no big deal though since he was already sinking. 

However, after a few rounds of boarding I realized it wasn't ending. Checked the scoreboard and the ai was flagged as "sunk" and I had a kill, so figured it was just a boarding UI bug and kept going. Finally got to the end of boarding and the dead AI that I had already killed took my ship and sailed off. I submitted an F11, and also took a screenshot of the after-battle report showing I got the XP, gold, and marks for the kill, but somehow I still lost my ship :(. If this is a bug (which it certainly seems like to me) I would like my ship back please.

I am at work now, but can upload the Screenshot later tonight if needed.

@Ink

Any input on this?

This happens when AI wins the boarding while AI ship is sinking (it is marked as "sunk" so you get XP & gold & marks) but sadly you lose your ship, means the AI has managed to take you ship instead of his own. Never never never be too close when the AI is sinking - it's really dangerous .... this should be written somewhere where new players could read it unmistakeable ....

That makes NO sense. If this wasnt a 1v1, a player marked as "sunk" will now be sailing around again and have to be killed twice? If the AI capped a ship and swapped to it in a fleet battle, I don't get credit for sinking his empty ship, and I don't have to kill both ships to complete the mission. The kill is tied to the player, not to a ship in every other case, so why would this be different?

Edited by Helbent

I know it seems unfair, but I guess the reality of it would be that they boarded you before their ship sank. There was another thread regarding this a while back. I guess if your ship is sinking you have more motivation to board another vessel.

I guess the only way to avoid it is to stay clear till you get the kill message. I usually slow down and keep off the vessels quarter till I get the message that they have sunk, that should still give you enough time to loot him. 

Captain, the ship is sunk during ongoing action involved another healthy ship, so the boarding is still active. They managed to defeat your crew and captured the ship. This is intended mechanic. The mistake here is about slowly approaching towards a sinking ship (with enough crew onboard).

28 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I know it seems unfair, but I guess the reality of it would be that they boarded you before their ship sank. There was another thread regarding this a while back. I guess if your ship is sinking you have more motivation to board another vessel.

I guess the only way to avoid it is to stay clear till you get the kill message. I usually slow down and keep off the vessels quarter till I get the message that they have sunk, that should still give you enough time to loot him. 

I understand the "realism" but from a game mechanic this is broken on so many levels when you look at it in context of the rest of the battle and how it behaves in other situations. At a minimum, the UI is completely broken and kills should not be awarded if the player isn't going to actually be considered "killed". 

Whatever, lesson learned. I guess ill see if after I cool down from losing this ship if I come back since I just lost weeks of playtime to this glitchy mechanic and I don't know if I will have the motivation to start that grind over.

21 minutes ago, Ink said:

Captain, the ship is sunk during ongoing action involved another healthy ship, so the boarding is still active. They managed to defeat your crew and captured the ship. This is intended mechanic. The mistake here is about slowly approaching towards a sinking ship (with enough crew onboard).

I hear and understand. But why is this situation treated differently than any other action? A player that's killed is killed. A capped ship becomes the "player" and an empty ship they leave behind counts for nothing. So why is a "kill" in this case not counted as a kill, just a temporary thing? I could have actually played the boarding game if I thought it mattered and maybe kept my ship but I had a kill so I didn't really pay attention since the "player" I was fighting was already DEAD...

1 hour ago, Ink said:

Crew in a sinking ship cannot jump on another ship if there is no boarding, they are going down together with the ship. In your case two ships are linked together during ongoing boarding.

Fair enough. But if the crew is on my ship in a boarding action, why am I getting notifications about them being killed? If they can still fight and take my ship, saying they are killed is incredibly misleading as it implies things are over and you have won. Which in my case is exactly what happened and that confusion cost me my ship. 

Honestly, if you're not going to give my ship back then fine. I'm not going to demand stuff or try to hold anyone hostage over this, it is what it is. But this was an extremely frustrating experience that really left a bad taste in my mouth. No matter how you spin it, this IS broken, and needs to be addressed one way or the other.

Edited by Helbent

The main problem is that the AI is allways full preped for boarding and they will pull you at any chance they get if they have enough crew. A player would need alot more crew in survival then the AI has ready for boarding at that point or would sink very fast if he tried to switch off survival to get boarding prep.

The best course of action for the Op would have been to build up enouth prep to disengage and some reserve for a defends, since the AI likes to attack after you used all you prep for the disengege comand.

34 minutes ago, balticsailor said:

The main problem is that the AI is allways full preped for boarding and they will pull you at any chance they get if they have enough crew. A player would need alot more crew in survival then the AI has ready for boarding at that point or would sink very fast if he tried to switch off survival to get boarding prep.

The best course of action for the Op would have been to build up enouth prep to disengage and some reserve for a defends, since the AI likes to attack after you used all you prep for the disengege comand.

There are a lot of issues here honestly. I could have done a lot of things differently than I did, but I honestly thought that once I got the kill and the scoreboard showed him as sunk that it meant he was dead and I didn't need to worry about it...