Game-Labs Forum

class restrictions ... should we limit ship types pet battle?

most good multiplayer games restrict class numbers to ensure that things remain some what realistic and to make things fair.

if naval warfare were to do scenarios where ship numbers were known then that should form the restriction for that battle imho.

this would prevent battles with 50 frigates and no ships of the line.

p.s. Caan anybody tell me how frigates are faster than larger ships for delivering messages and scouting?

p.s. Caan anybody tell me how frigates are faster than larger ships for delivering messages and scouting?

Impossible to tell.. It totally depends on the ships you want to compare. The 74-gunner could easily overtake a Frigate.

But in light winds the Frigate then may get away.

The reason why frigates did the signal-repeating job is only because they are inappropriate to stay in a line of fight.

One lineshipbroadside and a frigate is done for.

About class restriction.. I dont think that the right spproach.

We wont have classes. Maybe passive skills. Noone can tell by now.

But Id like to see the playerbase to find the most efficient way to go into battle. Just like POTBS had the skirmgroups.

(way back in the old days-.-)

My understanding was that the only time a SOL had the advantage over a Frigate in terms of speed was during a heavy storm or blow. When a frigate would dip into the trough of the waves during a storm, it's shorter masts would lose the wind and it's lighter weight would cause it to lose momentum, whereas a Ship of the Line with it's taller masts could keep the wind and shoulder through with it's heavier bulk. 

Bungee has made a good point in that I think this issue will sort out itself. If you're a Frigate captain you're not going to try and line fight against rates. If two focus fired on you, your ship is just floating matchsticks. 

What would be interesting is a port battle system that limits the amount and type of ship based on the harbor in that port. That could make for some dynamic and interesting battles. 

So essentially gusting and wind strength need to be in game to show the strength oi each vessel type.

Combined with how heavy the seas are for given ship types.

If we simply have the direction of the wind then ship speeds will all be the same.

As for class restrictions. I still think the devs may find that people find a sweet spot and games simply become about one type of ship.

That depends of course how easy and fast you can get a SoL. I hope it will be a lot of work and lots of hours gaming to get one or a second rate. Another Idea might be, that you only get the big ones when you are in a clan (let's call it a fleet. Clan sounds dumb). If I am right, no pirate, no single independent captain, merchantman or freeboter had a 3rd/2nd/1st rate ship. And no lone wolf would try to fuck with SoL of a fleet