Game-Labs Forum

AI brig turning faster than my basic cutter?

Well the title says it all. After a few level up I started getting brigs as mission targets. I'm still sailing my basic cutter.

Problem is that AI brigs have faster turning speed, regardless of whether they're windward or not.

This makes tailing them very hard for my cutter, and even if I managed to tail them they can wriggle out and rake me with their broadsides since they can turn faster than me.

If I concentrate on tailing them I can maintain my position behind the brig, but this prevents me from shooting at the brig's stern, which is obviously the main purpose of stern camping.

I don't remember tailing a brig with cutter being this hard in alpha stage, so I'm wondering if there were any changes made to ships' general stats.

AI ships know how to use manual sails, albeit they're restricted to only being able to change their orientation every 10 seconds, this makes them quite proficient at turning against the wind should they need to. Unfortunately in a Basic Cutter, using manual sails doesn't net you much benefit, your mast setup just doesn't offer much, so unfortunately some of the lower tiered AI square rigged ships do get to do some decent turning action against you.

Personally I went and captured myself a Privateer to get out of the Basic Cutter, the Privateer does have fore and aft sails, and while its not square rigged, it does get some added turning benefit from manual control in turns.

The brig is very capable to tacking back and away at any haul while your cutter has a run down face wind. As soon as you reverse your turn you lose it.

AI is way less capable than a human is.

For the sake of stating the obvious, my navybrig ( way heavier than the brig but with more sail ) versus 2 cutters plus 2 lynx, spanish player fleets, were sunk in short order just because of that. ( their bravery was noted on the captain's log of course. they did not back down. excelente battle )

AI uses manual control, humans do as well. It makes the brig one of the best corsair options.

My suggestion using the cutter is to mind your speed and kite the bow instead of Stern weave.

• Like 1

The AI definitely shoots better than any player can when you're talking about hitting small ships that are so low to the waterline that they can be completely obscured by a wave and there is absolutely no room for error on the elevation. Once you get to ships that are a bit taller than that though things even out. 

Edited by Aetrion

Ai will always be better than you when it comes to reloading and turning and aiming most of the time 99.99%

This is not true. A player competent at aiming and use of manual yards will out-turn and out-shoot an AI every time.

The AI definitely shoots better than any player can when you're talking about hitting small ships that are so low to the waterline that they can be completely obscured by a wave and there is absolutely no room for error on the elevation. Once you get to ships that are a bit taller than that though things even out. 

Again, this is not true. If anything it's the other way around. The AI is bad at close range fighting in small ships because it does not account for waves and regularly fires entire broadsides into the water. A reasonably skilled player should be able to easily loop shots over waves to hit the target using carronades or medium cannons.

• Like 3