Game-Labs Forum

Eventual possibility of a campaign?

YvAd

You've built one of the most innovative RTS battle games I've ever seen- but have you considered eventually integrating it with a full civil war, an empire total war style grand campaign? That was half the fun of DMUC; the management of units and ships, the diplomacy/tactics leading up to the battles. 

Anyway, just curious to know where this game(or its sequels) are planning on going.

This is one of those games where small bite size DLC makes perfect sense. Release each of the major battle for £2-£3 as a separate scenario, and once you have all the major battles done and running from the main menu release a last DLC that ties them all together in a consecutive turn based campaign similar to the Close Combat series. That's the next 3-4 years worth of releases sorted. Once everything is in the game re-release as  "Ultimate General: American Civil War" with all the DLC in one package for £30-£35.

Job done.

I'd much rather see an AGEOD's style campaign with the ability to fight battles with the UGG engine.  

That way the community can get involved in designing battlefields, orders of battle, etc. and accelerate the process.  

With proper licensing arrangements UGG can focus on the mechanics while leveraging the community to fill in the voids on individual battles and still make money.

The battle-gameplay of Ultimate General: Gettysburg has that "easy to learn, difficult to master" -approach. A turn-based "Grand Campaign"-mode would probably have to follow the same philosophy, so as not to make the experience jarring. Less of the joyless number-crunching as some of the dryer turn-based strategy games out there, in other words.   

All fine ideas. May I say that a zoomable real-time approach similar to the Hegemony Rome system, but with Darth's incredible battle mechanics and AI, might be ideal for expressing operational level campaigns. Creating the map might be a nightmare, since battles could take place anywhere in the operational theatre, but imagine refighting the whole Gettysburg campaign, hunting for the enemy army with your cavalry scouts while guarding your supply lines and inter corps communications in the vast American landscapes with a game that is zoomable from paper map down to battlefield - perhaps with a corresponding time scale zoom. That would be my ideal. Now supply lines, cavalry screening and scouting, and communications would really mean something.

• Like 1