Game-Labs Forum

Taking the TW market?

Risky

So is this the game that's going to force CAs arse back in the boardroom? There's a gap here that's to be had for a new franchise and Ultimate General looks to fill that gap. Also if it has great multiplayer features then yeah this is defo going to roll a few sweat drops over the directors and CEOs eyebrows. Competition enforces productivity. Or CA will continue towards the casual market as they lower their standards leaving their long term fan base up for grabs.

Sorry for the rant just angry at CAs cheeky marketing practices as Rome 2 comes to a close in the lead up to warhammer.

Well we are not going after anyone :) . 

In entertainment industry (movies, TV series etc) people usually try everything that suits their taste. Family guy does not compete with American Dad - users watch both when they are on TV. People who will buy our game will most likely also buy Total War, Europa Universalis, Civilization and others in this setting.

Total War - Warhammer, eh? Blimey.

Not sure UG fits the same genre space as the TW games - the differences look to be considerable. Of course, there's always room for strategy games 'done right'. This one looks to have a lot of promise in that direction. We remain patient. PATIENT, I say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No offense to the devs here, but I doubt CA is too concerned about this game giving them any serious competition.  Maybe down the road we'll see Game Labs grow, and then we can talk.  And it's not similar enough to TW to "steal" people away anyways - not without a grand strategy element.

Agreed the TW series is getting worse, though.

I was kinda hoping that it'd avoid the TW market entirely. Indeed, the current TW market is nothing short of full of casual games looking for a quick fix, and that's not the sort of market I want to be part of. Rome II really kicked the original fans of TW in the balls, and I've just had an argument with a few of the content directors over at TW Center and it confirmed my greatest fears; they have no interest in formation or cohesive battle, just "the overall result". 

So. Yeah. Playerbase is dead IMO.  :(

I'm hoping UG:G will revive the older types of games and their markets, rather than current day casual-town. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Total War has always been relatively casual with only a slight historical twist. It never degraded to less realism - the original Rome had battles as fast and arcadey as the new ones! It's the modding community (of which I am part of) which is extreme ;)