Game-Labs Forum

Open World Spyglass, Flags, and Spotting Mechanics

Forgive me if these have been suggest before. I think being able to use the Spyglass in the OW is not only a nice bonus feature, but could be a vital gameplay component.

Aside from giving you the opportunity to enjoy the lovely OW scenery and gawp at other beautiful ships, utilizing the spyglass could be used to identify ports from father away, helping navigation, and could make feature like Lighthouses a nice touch while I'm suggesting things.

Additionally rather than clicking on a ship in the OW to identify it and it's allegiances, why not use the spyglass? Rather than knowing that tiny sail you see in the distance is a Pirate in a lynx, you need to pull out your spyglass, to catch a glimpse of his Jolly Roger. Aside from it adding flags to the OW it would also be a good use for Clan pennants. Once you hover the spyglass over a ship an info card could still appear just as now when you click, where it tells you if the ship is a Player or AI, if they are a a trader, have contraband, and if they have a fleet with them. 

I think these sort of details will not only add to the realism and immersion of the game, but may it more dynamic. if you have to sail up closer to those ship to determine friend or foe, and if the angle is where you can't see their flag all the more risky. Imagine being out at night scanning the horizon with your spyglass looking for that black landmass that was totally supposed to be right over there 2 minutes ago. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Totally agree, especially about lighthouse. We need in the open world to see the light far of the sea, to look the position of the cities and make a good navigation point.

Would be great to see the lights in the sea, especially in raining day!

3Ua3MMn.jpg

Would be intersting to add some navigation instrument, starting to pencil, protactor and ruler, to build the route in the map (like some aircraft-sim), and why not, in a far future, a sextant

oyaz3wu.jpg

Would be intersting to add some navigation instrument, starting to pencil, protactor and ruler, to build the route in the map (like some aircraft-sim), and why not, in a far future, a sextant

Yes i totally agree with you, just having the ability to do some basic map plotting would add so much more immersion to the game, just having a basic movable compass in the Map would aid in navigation so much.

• 2 months later...

Additionally rather than clicking on a ship in the OW to identify it and it's allegiances, why not use the spyglass? Rather than knowing that tiny sail you see in the distance is a Pirate in a lynx, you need to pull out your spyglass, to catch a glimpse of his Jolly Roger. Aside from it adding flags to the OW it would also be a good use for Clan pennants. Once you hover the spyglass over a ship an info card could still appear just as now when you click, where it tells you if the ship is a Player or AI, if they are a a trader, have contraband, and if they have a fleet with them. 

Yes! Exactly.

We need a proper spotting mechanic to emphasize the anxiousnes of spotting a sail far away, especially when sailing in terrirories bordering hostile nations.

"AHOY on deck!"

"Sail on the horizon, hull down"

What size is it?

what nation?

What are its intentions?

Maybe details shout be revealed dependant of the distance .....

first size, then type, then nation, then player...

I think admin mentioned Spyglass. I think it would be awesome to have one on the OS. The only thing, it should be added with custom Flags system. Player should be able to spot another player and recognize him by his Flag. Spyglass can also help with spotting ships around missions before starting them.