Game-Labs Forum

New upgrade & some voices

First of all, awesome game, devs. Congrats!!

I have been playing for a long time and it really makes me feel like a captain; planing routes, preparing for battle, looking for new markets... and that's just the beginning. Wow, really nice.

And I have't found an answer for a few things that I have been thinking during my travels.

The first one is if there will be somo voices in Open World like Sails Ho! or Land Ho! That is because sometimes people may use to do another things while travelling long distances.

I mean, I guess they trace the route and wait for an hour or more to land again. At least it's what I do. Or sometimes you have to sail for a long time, and then reach to a point of interest where you will change the heading, and sail a long time again.

Like I said before, This really makes me feel like a captain, and I would like to have some help. Stay in my cabin waiting for a Land Ho!, then check the land and change course. Or a Sail Ho!, and check for the sail and prepare for battle or run. An option to have (or not have) this implement would be desiderable.

The second one is that I think it wold be nice as well to have an upgrade (permanent or regular, not an in-build) for making stronger ships just to allow them to load a higher size of cannon, or even more cannons.

Lots of captured ships where upgraded to be armed this way. A trader brig could carry some cannon or a Snow could carry 9 pounds.

There are upgrades to smooth disadvantage for some ships, or to improve advantage for another ones, but anyone for that matter. It would be surprising to find an armed trader (maybe not IA, but human...)

What do you think about that?

• Like 2

i dislike the suggestion of having an upgrade to have larger or more cannons, if you want larger or more cannons, just buy/build a bigger ship... the suggestion would mean a lot more work for the devs, it would not be that historically accurate for the adding more cannons, and the size of the cannons was rare as well as mounting too large cannons would be extreamly heavy and negativly affect performance of the vessel in a significant way thus this was not done often.

... if you want larger or more cannons, just buy/build a bigger ship...

Same for Speed Upgrades then. If someone want a faster ship, should sail in a fir Yatch.

... the suggestion would mean a lot more work for the devs...

Agree with that. It would be a lot more work to upgrade for more cannons. 3D models would multiply.

But that is not the point for bigger cannons. And one bigger is not that crazy. I understand that a snow can't have a 24 pounder, but may have a 9 pounder with some repairs.

Anyway, I don't have enough knowledge about sailing, shipbuilding or naval history to defend my suggestion, but I have read some about crafting the ship to allow cannons that haven't there before, especially in trader ships captured by pirates.

Same for Speed Upgrades then. If someone want a faster ship, should sail in a fir Yatch.

Agree with that. It would be a lot more work to upgrade for more cannons. 3D models would multiply.

But that is not the point for bigger cannons. And one bigger is not that crazy. I understand that a snow can't have a 24 pounder, but may have a 9 pounder with some repairs.

Anyway, I don't have enough knowledge about sailing, shipbuilding or naval history to defend my suggestion, but I have read some about crafting the ship to allow cannons that haven't there before, especially in trader ships captured by pirates.

1. generally you find the best balance between speed and firepower, however if firepower is of no concern, sure why not?

2. the difference though is, a trader ship the weight would normally be cargo, modifying it to carry guns you cant carry the same amount of cargo(take a look at current snow and trader snow in game, same ship, one for cargo and one for guns). if you take a ship buildt for 9 pound cannons, and then mount 12 pound cannons the ship will get considerably heavier, certain ships might go to the point of actually starting to sink, but most ships will have severely degraded performance in terms of speed and handling, which is why it has been done before, it almost never happens, which is also why i believe we shouldnt be allowed to do it our self.

• Like 1

I agree with M. Cmdt. ObiQuiet that having too many voices yapping about would be repetitious and annoying - as in "sails ho" every time a ship appears on your screen. I do, however, understand the interest for the use of "land ho" while in open world i.e. you've set your course for a long journey, you get a little eye fatigue while waiting, get distracted and inadvertently miss a land mass to your left or right that could possibly be of some interest to you for exploration. Not absolutely necessary for sure, but I can at least see some benefit to the suggestion.