Game-Labs Forum

Crew members to give a more RPG flavour?

Sorry if this has been suggested before (it probably has), and apologies for the poor formatting/lack of coherence for what you are about to read.

What if you could hire randomly generated crew members from ports. These crew members could come in the form of Surgeons, Quarter Masters etc.

Similar to World of Warships where you get a Captain and then you can tailor his 'Skill tree' to match your game play style, you could level these crew members up to match yours or the ship your are playings style, the crew members could level up with you and could be transferable from ship to ship.

I also recall a similar thing in Expendition Conquistadores where you can find/hire people to join your expedition.

Or perhaps forget the skill tree and just have them give static bonuses, I feel it could still give the player  more of a 'My crew is my crew' feel. At the moment my crew are just numbers on the screen.

I think main character (avatar) should have some RPG elements too, besides naval rank  ( and exp points). Some skills or statistic would be nice to have.

please, no skills or anything, all the skills should come from the player, if we start adding skills like this we wont have Naval Action anymore imho

• Like 1

please, no skills or anything, all the skills should come from the player, if we start adding skills like this we wont have Naval Action anymore imho

I think some mixed approach should be used. I don't think about harsh changes. Maybe some more officer/ crew skills (active skills ,not only buffs).

Crew skills I'm all for - a good officer's skills will be displayed through his crew, imo, thus making Captain's skills superfluous. If you know how to use your crew and your ship, your skills will show. 

As I've said elsewhere, being able to focus your crew on certain aspects - e.g. gunnery practice, handling the sails, boarding - would be a welcome aspect. It would also be more realistic than stacking three modules of copper plating or reinforced masts, or lightweight ropes etc. imo. That said, officer skills could dictate crew skills?

Either way, I prefer the idea of having your skills shown through your management of the crew and ship, not through predefined skill bonuses. I wouldn't mind a basic avatar and customisation though :P