Game-Labs Forum

Read a thread about this but then couldn't find it again so here goes. A lot of discussion about speed mods etc, why not mimic what happened in the real world. Ships  start off at a base speed (so for eg all cerberus's have the same starting speed) and the longer it is at sea the slower it gets. Modules in the form of copper sheeting which i think i have seen can slow the speed degredation. Ships would need to "repair" their keels in port to reset the speed value back to its base.

Hope i've explained what i mean here.

They slow down due to marine growth in the form of weeds worms (eating the wood) and barnacles and the like. Black tar would keep it at bay for a limited period but a copper layer below the waterline was toxic to all marine life and so the hull would stay cleaner, but copper would also create a different problem in the form of electrolysis between itself and iron iron nails used as fasteners.

Modern day yacht all fit a zinc anode on the under water section of the hull, usually near the bronze prop and in my personally experience a big ole lump of zinc, which is lower on the metal eating charts gets eaten in a matter on months.

Moving over to copper nails and roves (no idea what time frame that happened) helped with that problem, but any metal other than copper even above the water line would start the electrolysis problem in any damp weather or water contact. I even know of folk who have run a soldered wire from every copper nail to the sacrificial (Zinc) anode, to help prevent what is called nail sickness and electrolysis to that which is basically holding the hull together in a wooden ship.

Spent many an hour lying on my back in the mud with a beached wooden boat, banging in new nails whilst a friend holds the dolly on the inside to tighten them. 

Anyway sorry got a bit carried away down memory lane there lol. Just some boat bottom info for anyone not in the know.

Hi Mikedabay.

Hull copper planking started around the middle of the XVIII century.

Ok you got me looking and found an excellent source all about this info. I was aware that copper sheathing was introduced then, i was unaware when they first used copper fastenings too, as they were not aware of what was causing, and how to counter the effects between copper and iron underwater.

Anyway your reply got me googling and i found this.... http://www.academia.edu/358814/The_Introduction_and_Use_of_Copper_Sheathing_-_A_History very imformative piece i feel.

For devs,

maybe an upgrade from iron nails to copper fastenings might be something you could use as a life extender to ship??

Edited by MikedaBike