Game-Labs Forum

A Simple Coalition/Bad Boy Mechanic

amosblanco

Question

One of the notable aspects that break the balance in the current PvP server is the presence of one overpowered nation (currently Russia), which could steamroll any other faction at her will with her superior number of players and resources. Of course that is not the fault of players who play Russia. Even if BF and other influential Russian clans quit and join another nation, it's just a matter of time before we have another zerg nation that overruns other. What is needed is another mechanic to fix that balance. 

I have seen in the forum that many have called for a re-introduction of the alliance system. But any of the so called alliance system would require certain level of consensus and coordination among players in the faction, each of which possesses different clans with (very likely) different agendas and objectives. Thus, it is extremely likely that such an alliance system, no matter how well designed, will invite new problems. That is perhaps why devs got rid of it after an attempt two years ago in the first place. 

Here is my proposal, inspired by many Paradox series games such as EU4--- An coalition/ bad boy mechanic that targets specific nations that own above certain number of ports. My objective is not to penalize players who happen to the players of the targeted nation (which will definitely ruin the player experience), but to incentivize players of other factions to coalesce against them and their faction, and thus a semblance of the balance of power may be restored. Numbers and stats could be subject to changes

For any nation that owns 75 capturable ports or more: 

-Players who engage in combat against players from the targeted nation earn 25% extra XP, reals, and doubloons. 

-Players who attack players from the targeted faction will NOT receive karma penalty, which will be introduced in the next patch. In a nutshell, players from the targeted nation could be ganked. 

For any nation that owns 100 capturable ports or more: 

-Players who engage in combat with coalesce earn 50% extra XP, reals, and doubloons. 

-No karma penalty as explained above

-Players of other factions who join the combat on the same side of targeted nation could receive certain penalties based on their rank. Essentially, it discourages the option of an informal alliance for the targeted nation. 

-Any other nation could join port battles against the targeted nation, whether the targeted player being the aggressor or defender. Thus, it reduces the possibility that small nations could not gather enough players to fight against the targeted nation. 

Maybe other players have already proposed similar mechanic for the same purpose, or devs have already been thinking of implementing similar things. But I do not see significant drawbacks of it, and a balance of power is urgently needed in the current war server. How do you guys think?

3 answers to this question

your proposal is very interesnting but im not sure if this is playable... Probabaly so explotable using alts, and specially for alt farmers. I think that one mechanic for preventing ganks ( like put a limit on BR sides difference) is much more playable. Im russian player an i like make pvp solo, and with your mechanic guys that gank me gain much more for sinking me that me for sink one of them or even all of them, when it is obvious that im in the weak side... So probably this reward bonus you propose make no sense in my opinion, because number of ports owned and PvP are things between no relation to each other

Edited by Despe
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Despe said:

your proposal is very interesnting but im not sure if this is playable... Probabaly so explotable using alts, and specially for alt farmers. I think that one mechanic for preventing ganks ( like put a limit on BR sides difference) is much more playable. Im russian player an i like make pvp solo, and with your mechanic guys that gank me gain much more for sinking me that me for sink one of them or even all of them, when it is obvious that im in the weak side... So probably this reward bonus you propose make no sense in my opinion, because number of ports owned and PvP are things between no relation to each other

But the logic can also be-- since you belong to the most powerful faction in the server (a quarter to a third of the server population), you are more likely to call your clan/ faction member for help to put an even fight, which means you are less likely to be ganked. On the other hand,if you don't want to be ganked,  either stay in the Gulf of Mexico or other safe zones or simply concede some ports to other factions. The goal is to add some challenging, but not immersion breaking aspects, to players from the strongest nations, like you. 

34 minutes ago, amosblanco said:

But the logic can also be-- since you belong to the most powerful faction in the server (a quarter to a third of the server population), you are more likely to call your clan/ faction member for help to put an even fight, which means you are less likely to be ganked. On the other hand,if you don't want to be ganked,  either stay in the Gulf of Mexico or other safe zones or simply concede some ports to other factions. The goal is to add some challenging, but not immersion breaking aspects, to players from the strongest nations, like you. 

yes and no, it depends the place on where are you. And when you are ganked you need the help arrive in 10 minutes as much, in the opposite case will dead in 95 percet times. And help arriving in that time, is so dificult...

Edited by Despe