Game-Labs Forum

Ship design and their capability 

Grayknight

So i read a bit about they way that your ship classes work and what are they composed of. I have question however. 

Will there be any possibility of designing or playing with predesigned auxiliary vessels like minelayers and support cruisers? 

Also will we be able to give roles of those vessels to our ships. For example could i create destroyer-cargo transport hybrid (like destroyer usage during WW2 Pacific by Japan) or give cruiser/destroyer ability to put minefield (something like what orp Gryf was) 

I assume that tender ships both as a repair ship and as a support seaplane tenders are very hard to implement not to mention make them designable - and therefore will not be the case, am i correct? 

I also asume that we will be able to create cruiser that has some asw capabilities?

Edited by Grayknight
coloring
  • Like 2

All of those are features of RTW 2, so I think they could be reasonably expected to see here. Those missions are all essential functions on the campaign layer (logistics, mine warfare, ASW). 

Tenders would be very nice to see, probably on the campaign layer as in scenarios or quick battle they're not much different from small armed transports. 

The transport-destroyer hybrid was born of necessity, not a choice of design or doctrine.  Had the Japanese been able to establish superiority, parity or even a measure of security in the air and at sea, they would be able to use ships much better suited for the role. They surely would have been happy to have fast, expensive destroyers assigned to their intended mission rather than being tied up with transport duties. Ideally the player should never have to use DDs as transports, as that means something has gone badly wrong, but that isn't to say that they shouldn't be able to per se, just that things were very much not going according to plan for the IJN before that measure was taken. 

MACs are not so different. The allies would have been much happier to have merchants and carriers if they were able to.