Game-Labs Forum

Uninstaller deletes contents of its directory?

In the process of trying to find the exe that was installed on another user account on this PC, I started the installer again.  It defaulted to D drive and started copying.  I quickly realized that it was installing again so I cancelled, but there were already loads of files in my drive, so I run the uninstaller, and alt tab to other things.  Minute or two later I realize that the uninstaller is still running actively and when I look at the text in the log I can see it is deleting everything in D:\.  

I can imagine that the installer not finishing might have kept it from generating a file list , but I can also see the possibility that the uninstaller was just coded to delete the current directory too.

So uh, just a heads up:    The uninstaller might just delete everything in the directory in which it is contained rather than using a file list. 

Edit2: Actually I did still lose stuff, but I'm not worried about that. I incorrectly convinced myself that I had recovered everything, but I was wrong. There is still potentially an issue with the uninstaller.

Edited by burning_gl0w

14 hours ago, burning_gl0w said:

In the process of trying to find the exe that was installed on another user account on this PC, I started the installer again.  It defaulted to D drive and started copying.  I quickly realized that it was installing again so I cancelled, but there were already loads of files in my drive, so I run the uninstaller, and alt tab to other things.  Minute or two later I realize that the uninstaller is still running actively and when I look at the text in the log I can see it is deleting everything in D:\.  

I can imagine that the installer not finishing might have kept it from generating a file list , but I can also see the possibility that the uninstaller was just coded to delete the current directory too.

So uh, just a heads up:    The uninstaller might just delete everything in the directory in which it is contained rather than using a file list. 

Edit2: Actually I did still lose stuff, but I'm not worried about that. I incorrectly convinced myself that I had recovered everything, but I was wrong. There is still potentially an issue with the uninstaller.

Greetings, please check private forum message for additional clarification (e-mail address that was used to login to the launcher)

@burning_gl0w

You cannot install the game just on drive D:\ - game launcher does not allow it
8Sa6ZBN.png

You cannot install the game into a NON-EMPTY folder

yj2WIDu.png

You can only install the game into an EMPTY folder. If you dropped other files into a game folder they will be deleted after the uninstall. This is a game folder and all files from the game folder will be deleted. But you cannot install the game into a NON-EMPTY folder as was stated above.

1 hour ago, Ink said:

@burning_gl0w

You cannot install the game just on drive D:\ - game launcher does not allow it
8Sa6ZBN.png

You cannot install the game into a NON-EMPTY folder

yj2WIDu.png

You can only install the game into an EMPTY folder. If you dropped other files into a game folder they will be deleted after the uninstall. This is a game folder and all files from the game folder will be deleted. But you cannot install the game into a NON-EMPTY folder as was stated above.

Sorry, You are correct, It was a sub-directory. I should have been precise. It was installed to D:\Games while I was using my 2nd windows user account. (I use two because I run a lot of stuff automatically on this account and it is easier to just log off and onto a dedicated gaming account than it is to close everything.)

Until I just looked for the launcher shortcut (while coming back here to apologize) I was convinced I had just accidentally copied it the contents a directory higher or something. I could easily have done such a thing. 😕

However, it did install to a non empty directory for some reason because there is still a shortcut to D:\Games\launcher.exe on the desktop.  I'm not sure why or how but there you have it.  I logged off, and I haven't touched anything on that account (except maybe RL 😛) since. Just viewing files via explorer

The reinstalled version, which wouldn't have created a link on that desktop, is still in D:\Games\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts.

launcher.png.8b71546477cfbf09089650f9a6d588b3.png

Meh, Sorry, I dunno. Good Luck.

17 hours ago, burning_gl0w said:

However, it did install to a non empty directory for some reason because there is still a shortcut to D:\Games\launcher.exe on the desktop.  I'm not sure why or how but there you have it.  I logged off, and I haven't touched anything on that account (except maybe RL 😛) since. Just viewing files via explorer

Could it be that you created a shortcut from the launcher after you moved the installion files a folder above? We have tried multiple methods of installing the game into a none empty folder and it was not successfull.

Your case is sent to Xsolla support team, they will contact you if they need more information about the case

14 hours ago, Ink said:

Could it be that you created a shortcut from the launcher after you moved the installion files a folder above? We have tried multiple methods of installing the game into a none empty folder and it was not successfull.

Your case is sent to Xsolla support team, they will contact you if they need more information about the case

It was installed/aborted on my main account but the shortcut from first install is on the sub account. The only way I can see that happening would be if the installer created a shortcut across accounts, which it shouldn't do by default. (I think)  Either way though, wouldn't it still have been installing into the  wrong directory at that point, since it generated a D:\Games\launcher.exe link in the process? Or at the very least, the installer/launcher updated the shortcut to this incorrect info at some point in the process, right?

I wonder if there isn't a $path issue or something confused in the registry because  I finally clicked that wrong shortcut and it didn't error. It just ran launcher.exe as if it was actually in the location then changed that shortcut to the new location. Might have just been windows auto-magic, but I seem to remember there being a prompt in those circumstances of a broken shortcut.  I dunno, just a guess. (Both could very well be messed up from my dev work and this old install of windows.)

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the time.

10 hours ago, burning_gl0w said:

It was installed/aborted on my main account but the shortcut from first install is on the sub account. The only way I can see that happening would be if the installer created a shortcut across accounts, which it shouldn't do by default. (I think)  Either way though, wouldn't it still have been installing into the  wrong directory at that point, since it generated a D:\Games\launcher.exe link in the process? Or at the very least, the installer/launcher updated the shortcut to this incorrect info at some point in the process, right?

I wonder if there isn't a $path issue or something confused in the registry because  I finally clicked that wrong shortcut and it didn't error. It just ran launcher.exe as if it was actually in the location then changed that shortcut to the new location. Might have just been windows auto-magic, but I seem to remember there being a prompt in those circumstances of a broken shortcut.  I dunno, just a guess. (Both could very well be messed up from my dev work and this old install of windows.)

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the time.

Your description was sent to Xsolla support team, they will investigate it and contact you with the additional clarification if needed