Game-Labs Forum

D&M vs Frenchies

Galis

I'm playing the US campaign for the first time right now, having a blast but that's only natural with UA. 
I've managed to capture a 3rd rate of Bellona class and I've noticed that unlike the Ardent classes it has access to Dickson&Milla 32 pounders. The description in game describes them as "experimental" but comparing statistics to my favourite, French, 32pdr. guns shows that the D&M one has actually astonishingly low accuracy for being described as "the best money can buy", the French guns have accuracy of 0.95 while the D&M guns have accuracy of 2.6, on par with Armstrongs and Bloomfields. Their reload and damage is average too, as is their penetration. 

I didn't have a chance to try them out in battle yet but I'm really curious about what is so special about them? I tried to do a bit of research online but due to lack of time I couldn't find anything specific. Anybody tried them out yet? I couldn't find them in the British campaign I played on the last version and D&M were british designers so I assume they are a new addition to the game. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Galis

You're basically talking about two different things: the flavour text and the actual stats of a cannon. When buying new weapons, be it muskets or cannons, i go by the stats and not the flavour text. And as far as the stats go, the 32pdr French Re-bored (along with the 42pdr pendant) are the best cannons in the game. That can of course change but for now it is true. The only cannons coming close to the French Re-bored are the Borgard long. I'm not sure but i think they have a higher price and weight, not to mention a longer reload time. 

• 3 weeks later...