Game-Labs Forum

Lead ship algorithm needs to be heavily adjusted

The algorithm which decides the command ship is extremely frustrating. There are countless battles I have encountered where my ship maneuvers are completely upset by the algorithm saying "this ship is no longer fit to lead this formation" and randomly chose a ship further back in the battle line causing absolute chaos. Firstly, this is slightly frustrating in a battleship brawl when all the sudden a single hit causes the lead ship to quit his job and because other ships have taken battle damage the algorithm says the last ship is the best choice causing the formation to go berserk. secondly, In cruiser fights where mass torpedo are in the water I must give ships orders to minimize hits, but since one ship gets hit, the game takes custody the leading ship and says since the other 2 (out of 4 ships) ships are in line they are your best chance of leading so all ships are completely filled with torpedo holes as they have no heading orders. I recommend there  be a way so that in player control, there is no way the AI can tell a ship to fall out of line, this leaves all responsibility on the player on whether or not they chose to leave a ship hanging and slow down the line or decide to move it to the back to preserve others (this means a fall to the back of formation button or command). Or heavily adjust the algorithm so that ships don't decide to turn towards the enemy in a attempt to preserve themselves or screw over the rest of the line because they just don't feel like it anymore

Edited by ThatOneBounced
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely agree to your points. I would like to see some kind of basic torpedo evasion for all friendly ships. It's impossible when ships are in a division to evade unless you detach each one, then issue commands separately. It's already hard enough to keep track of torpedo detection alerts in a mass gun fight.  This could also go hand in hand with crew experience (when implemented) to make veteran crews better able to evade. 

• Like 3