Game-Labs Forum

trader ships wont surrender

JaM

Its kinda ridiculous.. in recent battle i literally killed 39 men from 40, yet ship wont surrender.. it quite unrealistic for an unarmed trader to not strike its color when faced with superior enemy..they usually surrendered after first shot.. but i understand this is a game and they have to be a bit more challenging, but killing practically entire crew and nothing? who is sailing that ship??? single guy?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JaM said:

Its kinda ridiculous.. in recent battle i literally killed 39 men from 40, yet ship wont surrender.. it quite unrealistic for an unarmed trader to not strike its color when faced with superior enemy..they usually surrendered after first shot.. but i understand this is a game and they have to be a bit more challenging, but killing practically entire crew and nothing? who is sailing that ship??? single guy?

The ship will effectively be drifting at that point in game. Ships with enough hull damage will sink if left with a very low amount of crew.

1 minute ago, JaM said:

im not questioning that.. but amount of morale for a trade ship is ridiculously high...

Was the ships hud icon flashing white? That means the ships morale is very low, though that doesn't necessarily ensure a surrender. Bringing more ships with more crew into the area to surround the enemy ship will increase the surrender chances, but it will still always be a random chance until all crew are killed.

Is there something preventing you from boarding the transport? Normally I'll just hit them with a few broadsides until the morale drops and then board them so I can transfer the minimum crew instead of sending an entire officer on a rowboat.

i had 3 ships nearby, 2x 6th rates with 28 and 30 guns, 1x brig with 18 guns.. each ship had 160-180 men on board... that trader originally had 40 men on board,  hud icon flashed multiple times from "crew shock" , yet ship did not surrender even with just 1 man left..

Historically, trade ships would surrender after first shot hit the ship.. even warship crew would not fight to the last man...

In that scenario I would say you probably just had bad luck. Sometimes they'll surrender very quickly in far less unfavorable circumstances.

6 hours ago, JaM said:

Historically, trade ships would surrender after first shot hit the ship.. even warship crew would not fight to the last man...

It's a game, it's never going to line up with all historical situations. It's already way to easy to capture the entire enemy fleet in nearly every battle.

still fighting to the last man.... never happened.. i have no problem with combat ships fighting hard, but unarmed trader? Personally, i think crew shock should give a much higher incentive to surrender than anything else for trade ships..

10 minutes ago, JaM said:

still fighting to the last man.... never happened.. i have no problem with combat ships fighting hard, but unarmed trader? Personally, i think crew shock should give a much higher incentive to surrender than anything else for trade ships..

I'm not certain on this, but I think crew shock means that the crew is performing no actions. They won't fire, reload, sail, bail water, etc. Not sure if it adds to surrender chance, but seems reasonable for it to do so.

• Like 1