Game-Labs Forum

Prove your Might - poor design of the scenario or?

Dirlinger

I've also been converted to the no-barbette school of thought (for Alpha 4 anyways). The trouble is that the +22.5% weight increase also applies to the armor you put on the turret, so instead of Barbette IV you could have just made the turret armor 22.5% thicker---actually, even more than that since Barbette IV also increases the weight of the gun itself but thickening the armor doesn't.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, arkhangelsk said:

Without the other funnel, I only had about 45% efficiency and while it is a close fight, I think it is about 1-2% better overall to prioritize on the weight offset (basically the weight offset is more influential which is why it is on the center screen while Pitch isn't).

As for the barbettes - look, something had to give. Who cares in this scenario that I don't get ammo-racked only to be nibbled to death.

I got ammo racked repeatedly with max marbs. Once the BB actually detonated a DD with his opening ranging shot

22 hours ago, Evil4Zerggin said:

I've also been converted to the no-barbette school of thought (for Alpha 4 anyways). The trouble is that the +22.5% weight increase also applies to the armor you put on the turret, so instead of Barbette IV you could have just made the turret armor 22.5% thicker---actually, even more than that since Barbette IV also increases the weight of the gun itself but thickening the armor doesn't.

turret face armor is different than a barbette. a turret can be hit and not explode. a Barbette can be hit and explode.

12 hours ago, Hangar18 said:

I got ammo racked repeatedly with max marbs. Once the BB actually detonated a DD with his opening ranging shot

The multiplier seems to start at 100%, so you would need a total of -100% modifiers to get immunity, which would usually require IMO unconscionable sacrifices.

12 hours ago, Hangar18 said:

turret face armor is different than a barbette. a turret can be hit and not explode. a Barbette can be hit and explode.

If my interpretation of the code is correct, you are only at risk of ammo detonation if the penetration exceeds 150% of the turret armor, even for "barbette" hits. Though the new Alpha may bring changes.

The BB has a huge boost to accuracy and power. Normally a BC going over 30 kts has a stealth field but my first attempt with a 40 kt BC got racked at soon as I got close to him. So I tried again with 30 kt BC with 16 inch belt. My heavy 17" were unable to pen most of the time once we ended up in a stern chase while he had 100% hit rate on his 15 inches were mostly deflected off my heavily angled belt (chasing his stern) but even so the massive boost to power and accuracy the BB has would have eventually whittled me down so I quit.

I figured, okay, maybe I need to finish him with torps. Too bad, no deck launchers available. Lol.

Maybe next I'll try a broadside duel at longer range where the 30+ kt stealth field is still effective.

Basically, this game is heavily unbalanced so the scenario designer wanted to give the BB an advantage because normally a ship of that design would be crushed.