Game-Labs Forum

Archipelago Map Idea

Altrunchen

Hey so I just got into UAD after spending some time playing World of Warships and being quite dissatisfied with it. UAD so far is everything I had been hoping that WoWs would become, but that's not really been the case. Anyways, I made this map idea for the game for fun, hope you guys like it!

djyIvUf.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Altrunchen said:

UAD so far is everything I had been hoping that WoWs would become, but that's not really been the case

If you think that map somehow represents a place where a big naval engagement between capital ships of the dreadnought era would take place at all, then UA:D is not only what you expected WOWS to be but that never was...it's also a lot of things you're not expecting it to be. Realistic, for one ;).

Now I don't say this to discourage you or to somehow feel I'm dishing you, which can't be farther from my intention. I'm just pointing out that the kind of gameplay you can expect out of a game which has high regard for historical fidelity and immersion has absolutely nothing to do with that you'd find in an arcade game like WOWS where the only thing "Naval" are the 3D models of the vehicles that fight there. And part of the complete lack of regard for realistic naval engagements WOWS shows, is in where it forces those vehicles to fight, and in the way those vehicles are artificially allowed to move so they CAN fight in the maps they're put into.

Plainly stated, a big ship could perfectly take more than half an hour from full stop to full ahead, and several minutes to stop from max speed to a full stop. Ship's turnrate was very slow (compared with the racingboats of WOWS). Risks of running aground were nothing to sneeze at, a grounded ship could get stuck with ease in shallow waters (several battleships were lost that way, becoming stuck on some uncharted shallow rock and then being destroyed by the tides). No battleship captain would ever venture into an area like the one you drew. Not even a lunatic would risk such expensive warships in a place so likely to get his ship nose-in into an island.

Nor any cruiser one, now we're at it. And probably destroyer skippers would have a serious stressful time trying too.

You've drawn a map for a multiplayer deathmatch-style arcade game. UA:D is nothing of the sorts - it's a very different animal. No big surface fleet would've ventured in an area like the one you depicted. Now don't get discouraged by it: UA:D might not be a fast paced arcade multiplayer deathmatch, but if you like ships (if you REALLY like ships) and if you're interested in how they actually fought (Vs the completely made-up stuff of WOWS), then you'll love it and learn a lot in the process.

But if you expect it to be WOWS 2.0...well, that it is not. Like, at all.

Edited by RAMJB
  • Like 4

I would look to Operation Albion for ideas about how to develop interesting maps that involve restricted coastal waters.  Some elements are crucial, however: shoal waters, mines, and land batteries.  Also important to have targeting depend on LOS (or to some degree, line of radar) from firing ship to target, otherwise you will have nonsense like cruising behind land masses while destroyers dart about acting like remote director control towers* (already an issue, but exacerbated when direct approach is blocked).

Operation_Albion_Map.jpg

DL7JpW5WAAEj9bU.jpg

*I am aware of HMS Canopus firing on Von Spee's squadron from behind a hill, but she was grounded and essentially acting as a land battery with arrangements made for remote spotting from direct telephone connection to an observation post.

Edited by akd
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, RAMJB said:

WOWS where the only thing "Naval" are the 3D models of the vehicles that fight there.

I was using that statement or variations on it as far back as Alpha testing of WoWS in which I was involved, LOL.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, RAMJB said:

a big ship could perfectly take more than half an hour from full stop to full ahead

Here's a chart that the Royal Navy used as part of their wargame rules of 1929. It does a great job of highlighting the strong element of diminishing returns; you can get from 0 to 20 knots or so in most of these vessels in 10 minutes, but getting from there to the theoretical top speeds can take ANOTHER 20 or 30 minutes after that, even for DDs (V&W Class, Amazon and Ambuscade) or cruisers (County Class, Leander).

I suspect anyone who's played WoWS will find it rather shocking. 😮

(Source: http://hmshood.com/ship/hoodspecs4.htm )

accelerationgraph.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Steeltrap
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:30 PM, Steeltrap said:

I was using that statement or variations on it as far back as Alpha testing of WoWS in which I was involved, LOL.

Here's a chart that the Royal Navy used as part of their wargame rules of 1929. It does a great job of highlighting the strong element of diminishing returns; you can get from 0 to 20 knots or so in most of these vessels in 10 minutes, but getting from there to the theoretical top speeds can take ANOTHER 20 or 30 minutes after that, even for DDs (V&W Class, Amazon and Ambuscade) or cruisers (County Class, Leander).

I suspect anyone who's played WoWS will find it rather shocking. 😮

(Source: http://hmshood.com/ship/hoodspecs4.htm )

accelerationgraph.jpg

Cheers

I wonder if the Revenge class crews cracked jokes about making 20 knots in 20 minutes. 

In any case, I am slightly surprised the battlecruisers took so long to hit max speed, but if I recall correctly their engines were vintage and underpowered for those designs. (By WW2 anyway.) 

On 1/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, Reaper Jack said:

In any case, I am slightly surprised the battlecruisers took so long to hit max speed, but if I recall correctly their engines were vintage and underpowered for those designs. (By WW2 anyway.) 

Not really underpowered as a design is based on shaft horsepower, torque and revolutions producing a certain speed.

The source page shows:

Designed Max. Horsepower: 32.07 knots / 59.4 km/h was achieved during a full power run on the Arran Mile, at a displacement of 42,000 tons / 42674.6MT and with Force 6 winds.

Meanwhile you might find this page from navweaps.com interesting as it speaks about the differences between nuke and oil fired steam plants, and some of those points are just as relevant here, too. Short version is you can't throw open the throttles on these big oil fired steam plants, yet you more or less can on nuke steam plants, and this is also a factor on their acceleration.

Cheers

• Like 1