Game-Labs Forum

Shipwrecks, OW Books, Longboats

A couple suggestions:

1. Real-world shipwrecks

To encourage active cruising of the OW in areas where other players are, increase bottle-drops in areas where other players have been sunk in battle (perhaps only PvP) for ## mins/hours after the battle. The bottle then drops to a wreck from the battle, and you get both the normal shipwreck reward, plus something that was on the actual ship (say, an activated book or upgrade). This would in essence be a variation of the fishing perk, couple with a logbook.

That would encourage another use of the logbook, as well as require sailing in the OW in proximity to other players.

It could be a book, and the ingredients for the book itself could be: 10xlogbooks (need to encourage accumulating something through playing the game), plus a carpentry/repair book, and the addition of something like a "navigation" book. To actually use the book, you'd have to have the book active, along with a logbook in use.

2. OW Book Changes

Create a perk that allows changing of books while in the OW. I'd suggest this be a perk rather than something else - something along the lines of having a clerk or librarian on board your ship. I'd include a cooldown period on use of the perk.

3. Longboats

With looted dubloons now being an important aspect of econ, why not introduce an "away boats" upgrade that allows a player to dispatch longboats to loot the enemy ship. This would cut down on a lot of frustration, add some realism along with some risk.

I'd suggest something along the lines of the following. Each longboat temporarily costs you 20 crew. Number of longboats required is dependent on ship class (1 longboat for a 7th rate, 2 for a 6th rate, and so on). Longboats can't be launched if another enemy is within ### yards, and will be lost if an enemy later sails within that distance. Sailors assigned to longboats are lost for the rest of the battle.

For materials, I'd say make it roughly equivalent to what building a cutter takes.

I'd also make these an upgrade rather than a book, because in real life, each ship would require its own boats.

I wouldn't bother trying to visually include the boats. Just a nod in that direction would be helpful, *especially* to those who grinding AI.

• Like 1