Game-Labs Forum

Experience and Officers

Rygoat

Can someone explain how experience and officers work?

There is 3 bars from what I can tell:

1. Gold line

2. Stat line with light blue shade

3. Other part of stat line with darker blue shade

Then when I assign officers, there are gold icons for different stats.  I would think that if the icon is gold, then the corresponding stat would increase, but it doesn't appear to be the case.  Example: 7th rate brig.  The first or top officer has efficiency, sailing and morale as yellow, but all stats increase with the first officer being assigned.  The second officer has boarding, gunnery, and stamina, but when I assign the second officer, only sailing, gunnery, and stamina increase, despite sailing not being yellow.  And it isn't due to the fact that the other stats are low.  Example I used was a sub lt with 30 plus stats down the line.

3 stat lines.jpg

Base Stats.jpg

Nelson.jpg

Macholtz.jpg

Edited by Rygoat
Added pics

It is hard to tell what exactly you are talking about without having a picture to go off of but I will do my best. When assigning officers, especially for higher rated ships, are often specialized to do certain tasks which is represented by the “gold” that highlights certain skills on the officer. In general it seems that having officers with high skill in one category should be preserved for higher rated ships where only their specialization matters and the officers that are good at everything but not amazing at one should be assigned to lower tier ships. The light blue you speak of under the actual crew stats (if I’m understanding you correctly) is possibly used to tell you how much xp is needed until that stat is increased by one but this is more speculation. The dark blue is perhaps showing the overall crew do needed until you unlock the next perk. Like I said, without having an exact picture makes it difficult to tell you what you are seeing. Perhaps someone knows more then me but hopefully this helps you some. 

I would like to know that info too.  I don't understand officers on the ships.  I played two campaigns easy and normal.  The normal I went all the way to The Final Frontier in the Britain campaign and I do not have 1 officer on my 13 war ships and 2 war transports, and 1 non war transport so for a grand total 16 ships I have no officers with any perks?  Yet, as for my marines I have a few units that have 1 or 2 perks each. 

Yesterday, the game downloaded a patch and for some reason I was able to play the American Campaign so I started a normal play.  Got through Bunker Hill and I could only put in 2 marine units and at the end of that battle those two fresh units turned in from that battle 3 perks each to my surprise. My conclusion is, infantry can get perks easy but ship crew for me has no perks yet so I don't know what I am doing wrong.  The funny thing is, today, I deleted my saves for the American Campaign for I wanted to start it over again and now that I know a little about it so today the game updated and now the American Campaign is disabled to me and I can't play it so why did they give it to me yesterday and took it away today?  Had I not deleted my saves I could of loaded it to play some more oh well I can wait.  

Your not supposed to be able to play as the Americans and it’s already been patched out. Pretty much the campaign isn’t ready and so none of the campaign features actually worked. Meant purely for internal purposes that accidentally left in for the alpha build. 

when talking about “starring” troops, it only seems possible for land units with the career perk for increased training. Iirc ships and officers do gain experience however it still incredibly low which means you will essentially never see a ship star or an officer promote (except for Nelson but he is promoted based on game progress and not from xp).For not having officers on ships, make sure you press the upgrade button under the weapons in the crew tab (would give you a pic but no access to a computer so apologies) otherwise the game will not save your action. This is also the case if you switch the the physical ship equipment before placing the officer. 

Edited by WilliamTheIII
  • Like 1

So now that there are pictures I can hopefully explain this a little better:

The "light blue" represents the actual stats of the unit whereas the "darker blue" is showing the bonus that the officer is providing by having a high enough command value. My guess is that the "gold" bar is representing this command value for each stat which is different to how it would work in UGCW which is cool. This idea is stemming from the fact that when the "gold" bar is lower than the corresponding stat, a penalty is being suffered which is shown by the "black" bar protruding from the "darker blue". This is definitely seen in stamina and gunnery where the command value is greatly increased when adding the second officer which allows the crew to not only function at capacity but also above it. Seeing as how sailing was suffering a command penalty in the first picture and boarding was not, I feel like this is a bug where the effected stat is being flipped by the two officers.

As I was writing this, I realized that the values that each officer has per stat is actually representing their command value. Ie a crew with 50 stamina would be suffering a penalty from an officer with only 40 for his stamina value.