Game-Labs Forum

How do you beat the first campaign mission

roachbeef

I think if I am right about which battle you are talking about? The ship that you need to destroy plus capture the supply ship?  If so this is how I do it on easy and normal difficulty.  I only bring in two ships.  I think the names are Ferret and Mercedes, and I send them with the wind to cut off the one I need to destroy so I end up trying to board it with my one or two ships once I capture it I then send them to take the supple ship which I think only has 25 personnel on it so it is easy to take it.  Once you do that the mission ends.  No need to fight that extra ship.

• Like 1

I made a post of how I felt this particular battles was a little harsh if you follow the story of only having a brig and a sloop... ie NOT buying a prize from the intromission if you take one.
It is however possible with a 18 Gun ship and a 12 Gun ship - it just might take several attempts and some luck:

I used both ships to soften up the warship target sailing past them towards the supply ship. I shot it until it surrendered and used the crew from my 12-gun sloop to take control of it.
At this point I used the small 12 Gun sloop to get the attention from the nontarget warship and dragged it away from the target. The supply ship I tried to run away in a seperate direction and I managed to slightly win the duel with my 18 Gun Brig against the target warship and boarded it.
Battle ended immediately when I took over the warship target as I was already in control of the supply ship.

Good luck - if it's not working make sure you take a prize in the intro battle and smash your way through this one...

PinkyDK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PinkyDK said:

only having a brig and a sloop

10 hours ago, doublebuck said:

and I send them with the wind to cut off the one I need to destroy so I end up trying to board it with my one or two ships once I capture it I then send them to take the supple ship which I think only has 25 personnel on it so it is easy to take it

Thank you both for your advice! I'll restart the campaign and see what works.

Edit: worked like a charm! Boarding is waaay faster than trying to sink them.

Edited by roachbeef

On 12/18/2019 at 9:55 AM, roachbeef said:

Thank you both for your advice! I'll restart the campaign and see what works.

Edit: worked like a charm! Boarding is waaay faster than trying to sink them.

I agree with you, yes boarding is faster than trying to sink a ship and with a boarding kit on your ship as an upgrade helps too.

Edited by doublebuck

Boarding is certainly the meta for winning the game. I typically try to capture every ship through fireworks then really only focus on taking the bigger ones such as the 3rd, 4th’s, and Endymion. I do this more for enjoyment of seeing things go boom more then it being optimal. Just remember not to use canister until right before you board (prevents fires) as round does significant morale damage and honestly chain kills more imo. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 5:22 PM, WilliamTheIII said:

Boarding is certainly the meta for winning the game. I typically try to capture every ship through fireworks then really only focus on taking the bigger ones such as the 3rd, 4th’s, and Endymion. I do this more for enjoyment of seeing things go boom more then it being optimal. Just remember not to use canister until right before you board (prevents fires) as round does significant morale damage and honestly chain kills more imo. 

Good points, except: one would think that fires would actually kill crew and reduce morale, but I've never seen evidence of it.