Game-Labs Forum

Which first-rate SOL sunk, then had it's cannon recovered?

SueMyChin

I asked this question some years ago now and never really got an accurate answer, I'm now wondering if any of the history buffs of these dear forums could expand upon what info I was offered.

The Question:

What first-rate ship of line sunk, then had it's cannon recovered and melted down?
I've been reading about the HMS Victory (1737) found by Odyssey in the English channel, 2009. They found 42lb bronze cannon, the only existing cannon of this type on dry land. Though they mention another ship with similar ordnance that was recovered and melted down as scrap.

discovery.com - "The site Odyssey has identified is one of only two first-rates whose ordnance has ever been located underwater. However, almost all of the bronze guns from the other site were melted down as scrap in the late 18th and 19th centuries."

I want to know the name of the above mentioned ship and have read-up on several first-rates with similar cannon but none mention the fate of the cannon.

Was it the HMS Royal George (1756), HMS Sovereign of the Seas or some other ship....

Can anyone fill me in here?

Some updates since I asked the question:

Now, I don't claim to know any more than you guys (In fact it's very likely, much less) but the quote states that the guns were melted down in the 18th century. This would rule out the Cambrian (wrecked in 1828) and probably the Queen Charlotte (sank on March 17, 1800) ... It also states the other ship was, like the Victory, a First-rate, ruling out the Colossus (third rate) & Invincible (1747) (third rate).

"The wreck is one of only two first-rates whose ordnance has ever been located underwater, the other having been salvaged in the late 18th century. However, unfortunately almost all of the bronze guns from the other ship were melted down as scrap in the late 18th and 19th centuries. " - http://shipwreck.net/hmsvictoryfaqs.php

The link to my origonal question some 3 years ago - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120302104832AAT0p0J

If anyone has any additional info I would greatly appreciate it :)

Well, because they did not say what nationality this first-rate was, it could be possible talking about L'Orient, the French first-rate that was famously lost in Nelson's victory at the Battle of the Nile.  I did once watch a documentary about her, at it was mentioned that some cannons were removed from her wreak by salvagers.  These might be the guns you are looking for.

Well, because they did not say what nationality this first-rate was, it could be possible talking about L'Orient, the French first-rate that was famously lost in Nelson's victory at the Battle of the Nile.  I did once watch a documentary about her, at it was mentioned that some cannons were removed from her wreak by salvagers.  These might be the guns you are looking for.

I don't think L'Orient was armed with bronze 42's but I'm going to look for that documentary :) ..

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I dont know if this helps but i think it might have been the Royal George :- 

Salisbury and Winchester Journal  Monday 12 July 1784 page 3

Portsmouth July 9

An artist lately arrived from London, with his sloop, has employed himself in visiting Royal George.  His vessel lays constantly alongside the wreck; he has four assistants, and being preserved from the effect of the water by a contrivance of leather, with flexible tubes annexed, he often spends many hours on board the unfortunate ship without injury; by one of these tubes he is  supplied with fresh air, and by th e other he gives his orders to the people  in the sloop, on board of which is an iron machine of great purchase, whereby he is enabled to hoist up the guns and other valuables, and occasionally to rip up the decks, &c.  the ingenuity and entreprize of this man is astonishingly great; and as whatever is recovered becomes his sole property, he will doubtless make a handsome fortune.

Hope that is usefull.  must be one of hte earliest accounts of underwater salvage work i would have thought....

Tony

• Like 1