Game-Labs Forum

I have built one ship with 20 inch's of armour, yet when hit by a 14 inch shell at the rear of the superstructure between both towers, it destroyed my coning tower. It might be a good idea to make the central structor separate to the towers to avoid that type of destruction for it is a waist of time to put armour on the tower.

• Like 3

I would not be surprised if the visual impact didn't match the actual impact location.

Given how much shells are flying around trajectory+hit box collisions might be a bit too much to calculate. A simpler system would be predefined hit chance and have the visuals matching that afterwards.

given I need seen a ship get hit by shells not destined to it it seems to be the case.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:17 AM, Hvy-Tiger said:

I have built one ship with 20 inch's of armour, yet when hit by a 14 inch shell at the rear of the superstructure between both towers, it destroyed my coning tower. It might be a good idea to make the central structor separate to the towers to avoid that type of destruction for it is a waist of time to put armour on the tower.

Was it the conning tower or the mast? Historically the conning tower is actually only a small part of the superstructure meant to be a protected bridge to fight the ship from. The majority of the superstructure is either lightly armored or not armored at all. If it was then the ship would have massive stability issues from all of the weight.

Most of the superstructure can be absolutely wrecked by a solid hit from a large caliber gun depending on what type of ammo was used. It's hard to see what is hitting where ingame, but a large caliber HE shell should heavily damage if not destroy the super structure. An AP shell, depending on what type may just pass through if it hits a thin enough spot. This was actually the thinking behind the US cage masts. Turns out they were too weak to be practical and a few collapsed in storms.

7418a07a17b16e6c121911f29eb48948.jpg