Game-Labs Forum

Building strategies for the campaign?

SiWi

Hallo Travelers,

While the release on steam and hence the campaign is still quite away from us, I was wondering what you guys think will be your building strategy for the different navies?

For example: for Germany I think I would try to build 2 different set of ships.

1 That is for the Nord and Baltic sea and one for the Atlantic.

The Baltic and Nord Sea fleet would have very little range, and I would try to put many main caliber guns on the ships, but probably will go 1-2 inches small then the maximum I have.

Though armor and strong secondaries would also be a goal. In short I would design them as brawlers.

The Alantic fleet would be obviously need more range and sacrifice armor. I also think I would go for the biggest gun and set them up as long range ships. Speed would also be important, secondaries would not be view as important here.

For both fleets I think a "scout cruiser" would be good. 1 light cruiser for every fleet which main job is to spot the enemies and avoid being spotted.  

British:

While they should have both a big standing an a big fleet infrastructure, they also have kinda the problem that they are needed every where.

Thou building a Nord sea fleet/Mediterranean similar to my german plans are probably still possible. 

Overall I think a strong cruiser fleet mind be in order to be able to protect the empire.

Also of course long range BB and BC will be necessary if any trouble with the US or in the Pacific comes up. 

I probably will try to make Serval fleet strong point:

UK, obviously the home needs protection worthy of it.

India: a important colony and a jumping point to reinforce either Africa, Pacific or the Mediterranean.

Mediterranean, probably divided between Gibraltar and Eygpt, will have probably some more "brawler" ships then other fleets.

Africa (south) probably only a couple of cruisers and DD's, long range to order to intercept surface raiders.

Caribbean: potential only a very weak station, but if the US shows itself hostile then a major fleet there is needed.

French: kinda in a weird place. They need to have both the Atlantic/Nord sea as well as the Mediterranean sea in they sight. 

Perhaps having a "coastal" fleet which mainly protect the cost or near areas and then a having a offensive fleet with big ranges would make sense.

It would be temping to go heavily into TP boats and destroyers to emulate the french doctrines at some points.

Thinge complicated that you might have to face the british in the 1889's... in that case the canal would become a slaughter house...

Perhaps cruisers are the biggest things you can hope to replenish loses during the war hence a any BB's should be ready before that...

I could dive into the other nations but I think I want to read what you guys think first.

29 minutes ago, SiWi said:

Hallo Travelers,

While the release on steam and hence the campaign is still quite away from us, I was wondering what you guys think will be your building strategy for the different navies?

The Campaign is already in the game files in a somewhat primitive but already playable state and was accessible until a few days ago by pressing left Alt while clikcing on the campaign button. As such, it is reasonable to assume that the campaign is less than two months away and will be playable in some form during Alpha.

33 minutes ago, SiWi said:

French: kinda in a weird place. They need to have both the Atlantic/Nord sea as well as the Mediterranean sea in they sight. 

Perhaps having a "coastal" fleet which mainly protect the cost or near areas and then a having a offensive fleet with big ranges would make sense.

It would be temping to go heavily into TP boats and destroyers to emulate the french doctrines at some points.

Thinge complicated that you might have to face the british in the 1889's... in that case the canal would become a slaughter house...

Perhaps cruisers are the biggest things you can hope to replenish loses during the war hence a any BB's should be ready before that...

I could dive into the other nations but I think I want to read what you guys think first.

How do you plan to defend French Indochina and the west African coast with TP boats and destroyers ? I think you'd need a few more full fledged fleets to have any succes here than just an Atlantic and a Mediteranean fleet.

58 minutes ago, Niomedes said:

The Campaign is already in the game files in a somewhat primitive but already playable state and was accessible until a few days ago by pressing left Alt while clikcing on the campaign button. As such, it is reasonable to assume that the campaign is less than two months away and will be playable in some form during Alpha.

well as said I don't have it because you credit card so I don't own the game and waiting for the release on steam.

And the point kinda was that I suspect that the steam version would already had the campaign. 

56 minutes ago, Niomedes said:

How do you plan to defend French Indochina and the west African coast with TP boats and destroyers ? I think you'd need a few more full fledged fleets to have any succes here than just an Atlantic and a Mediteranean fleet.

In theory that is not more then a problem, because I sure you can make long range destroyers and spamm them.

And the question is, is it feasible to be strong enough in the Indochina to not get wiped before reinforcements arrive.

Thou a strong fleet there would be useful, it does depends how likely wars with nation in europe are compared to the asian nations.

Indochina has very large rubber Supplies. And rubber is kinda important for many modern tech applications such as wheels. And destroyers alone won't do the trick. Currently, a fleets of destroyers even struggles to sink a single battleship, let alone a battlefleet with a Cruiser and destroyer screen. And since historicly Japan, Britain and even Germany had strong fleets in east asia, with China not being particularily strong in the region but having favorable supply lines, it kinda becomes important to have a strong presence there.

fair enough.

Perhaps then as French you should have a somewhat  strong fleet in Indochina and perhaps one fleet in Madagaskar that somewhat flexible can reeinforce other fleets. 

My worry would remain that potentially a Fleet in Indochina could doom a fleet in france.

Hence the attempt to have some reveres that are flexiable in where they can be deployed.

My worries with long range ships is that they would lose out agianst any brawler/short range ship which invest more in amour or firepower.

In fact as China I also would firstly try to build brawlers, because firstly I would need to have a chance to defend my own waters, before dreaming of the pacific.

As for Destoryers:

you are probably right, thou I wouldn't give too much about current balance, it was a error historical but for the meme one could try it in game ;)