Game-Labs Forum

Player Fort Installations

I was reading about the an operation the British took in 1807 during the 1st Napoleonic war where the British fleet attempted to sail up the Dardanelles in an attempt to bombard the city of Constantinople in order to help in the war against France. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanelles_Operation_(1807))Very little of the action was fought between the British and Turkish fleets, as far as I am aware; it was the heavy gun batteries in the city of Constantinople that defeated the British. 

I am curious what the communities (and developers, god rest their souls) opinion would be about giving players control of the gun batteries in port battles. 

In the historical battle, the British used what would equate to mortar brigs to subdue the shore batteries as the fleet made its way North. This, in effect, is already a part of the game. Would I think would be an interesting addition to our current RvR meta would be to include the possibility for only members of the clan that own the port (not allied clans) to take control of the round towers and square forts during a battle in lieu of an actual ship.

It would allow clans better control of their defenses, allow more people to participate, and may help determine the results of battles where, currently, the forts don't play much of a part since they usually are the first thing to go. Why shouldn't a player be able to control them like in the old form of port battles where you had to destroy/capture the round towers in order to win. In those days, players could board the round tower, take control, lose control of their ship (or give it to the AI) and either use it to destroy another tower or to harass the enemy. 

With the clan port update on the horizon where clans will have the decision to customize their port defenses, I think this would be an appropriate addition. You wouldn't need to overhaul forts since the functionality was previously there, I think their DPS is appropriate as it stands (I can't remember the last time a fort mattered in a port battle other than "we need a mortar brig") they hit hard enough to help counter a line ship, we could still adjust reload/DPS if it's actually needed, and it could help clans get players who may not make the cut for a ship still help out. 

TL,DR; players should play also be able to play as the forts in PBs

Discuss. 

Edited by Galt
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DizzWho said:

Usless , fort always get rekt by mortar

I mentioned that, but there are times when the MB isn't killed or countered so it can still matter in some battles. And even if they die quickly, what is the harm in letting players take over? They already provide points on their death, might as well max out their potential. 

6 hours ago, DizzWho said:

Usless , fort always get rekt by mortar

That quote is Not historically accurate..  Often the forts won.  They were built for a reason.  Forts even during the Civil War had to be taken mostly by land with naval support.