Game-Labs Forum

Ball of Doom

StarTool

I was playing the "Chance to Change History" scenario online and I got stomped twice in a row as the Union. The confederate player (Same guy both times) massed all his infantry into one blob and all his artillery into one blob and proceeded to bash through my lines. There wasn't really any position that could hold. So I guess I'm wondering, how to you deal with a player concentrating all his units into a big blob. I tried harrassing his artillery as much as I could (Since all his infantry were in the blob). Perhaps I could have placed my own artillery better? Focus fired on some of his charging units to try to break one or two before they reach my lines? Counter blob?

It is depending on the situation, the map, etc. A first tactic is to make a big "U" during the enemy's attack by falling back your week center (use the related control so you won't turn your back to the enemy) and surround the attacker with your strong flanks (check the "H" deployment of the Greek forces , which turned to "U" in the battle of Marathon). Also do not rush to use your artillery and exhaust it. In contrast, group most of them and select canister. In this way they will remain fresh until the enemy comes close. Then when the time is right unleash hell. If he attacks one of your flanks then fall back that flank and attack with the other one (check the variation of Epaminondas and his oblique line of attack).

Fall back button and the swift changes of canister/shell will be your friends here.

• Like 2

In addition choose your battleground. If you can do so, then choose to fallback to a wooded area or uphill. He will get penalties for your cover and uphill. He loses a lot of firepower due to overlap in his ball. By spreading out your troops you pour 100% into him.

Check out REB Blunts tutorial also. See how he suggests using stacks of brigades one behind the other. Allow first brigade to fire then fallback bringing the next brigade up.

Rich