Game-Labs Forum

South Mountain

On a previous campaign as the Union, I got frustrated as well.... but on the next play through I set a screen of 3 brigades with all my arty behind. Then on the left side of the screen, set up 2 more brigades to pin those CS units in the woods. Then on the right side of the screen, I took the bulk of my units. Set a screen in the woods and run 3 or 4 bdes on the far edge until you pass the woods and are on the road.... detach some scrimishers to scout for CS units. When you have at least 2 units on the road, swing to the left and start pushing towards the victory point. At the same time slowly bring the screen units from the woods on the right side and start going up the hill into the woods. Keep the pressure with your other units... It is a hard battle as the CS is well position on the woods.

Usually when I played it I made my main push through the woods on the left.  While keeping a force ready to flank the Confederates when they readjusted.  A nice thing is keeping a brigade or even a few units of skirmishers or dismounted cavalry to finish an attack en echelon and when the Rebs have focused their whole strength to stopping your main push you can swing around and slap them in the rear.  Attacks en echelon in this game are tremendous.

I used the same tactic as Buford, only that I start on the left, and once I have their attention, I start pushing from the right so they must divide their forces... then I cross the small stream with 2 bde and all my arty and usually routed the units in the open field because they do not know which way to go .... and keep a unit in each side continue up into the upper woods so they move into the objective