Game-Labs Forum

Idea: The Heat Map Toggles

Idea: The Heat Map Toggles

@admin & @Ink

Two toggle switches on the Map menu updated to the last server shut down. So, static data.

Toggle 1

On the Map view can we see a Regional Nation Ownership as well as the ports, not just the outer Nation circle colour at present. Just a base colour shape underneath updated to last server maintenance. I couldn’t find the image but like when you first suggested regions and explaining them in January I think.

Toggle 2

On the UI along the bottom you post the number of battles. Is it possible to have 3 colored squares? Green represents below 5th rate, white 5-4 rates and RED SoLs. When a kill happened over the last maintenance window a square would appear at that spot. Both Player and AI kills. No details just the color.

Why would this be useful?

Imagine taking an image each day you log in. Then string them to together in a viewer. Something like @Jeheil letter to the King in a visual form. If he did it over the last seven days you see a small progression on regional changes also front lines would start to appear. This even if he didn’t receive data from all Nations, he could assume fronts moving just from the action.

I’ve clipped something they do on EvE. Speed it up 2x and you’ll sort of see what I mean. The Idea with the kill squares is to show activity details either hostility wise, training wise or whatever.  Adding size dimension like small square 1-3 kills, medium 4-8 and large 10 and above would give more detail also.

The commander’s strategic options open up when and where to deliver assets predicting future hotspots. Or maybe it is giving too much info away…? This idea was inspired by @monk33y when we were chatting last week.

Let me know what you think.

Norfolk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQOhZYRswc

• Like 11

It would be nice to get a log of events for each server! 

We the community have developed a history through conflict, many epic ages! We have had a number of powerful nations and clans but currently any new player comes into the game with a blank history.

The letter to the king did this very well. It's a shame it's only for global. 

I'd like to see a moderator given responsibility for keeping a locked thread showing weekly changes to conquest and the top three hot spots for combat over that week (ships lost etc), (busiest trade hubs) and (most missions run here) I think Norfolk would do an amazing job (with help) managering this log book of our collective history's.

Edited by monk33y
  • Like 2

Like Norfolk stated. Having a record of the conquest on our servers could be used by the development team on big patches and wipes to show the last ages conquest information.

Imagine our server map, slowly changing as the months go past, showing the hot spots of ships sunk on the loading screen while we are waiting to get in game... I think it would be epic!

• Like 2

I've know idea how the 3 by 9 "Circles.." would look on the map. Probably splogges all over the place, but would like try the time lapse view of just a week to see if @Jeheil could work out the fronts. 

the window it could open just by what @monk33y and @Rickard have suggested is an analysts wet dream. Extensions on the 3 by 9 circles, could be small 10, medium 30 and large 60 on Port Entry and exits. Again how useful would that info be...?

The idea of static data is obvious, for ease of use by the Dev's but also replicates the time it takes for news to cross the area(one RL day accounts for 60 to 70 NA days). And then its not a big leap to have Port or Regional GDP or Gold turnover Circles.... 

I think @koltes is busy enough causing chaos on GLOBAL. But he is the man to give a visual I agree

Edited by Norfolk nChance

I like this idea quite a lot and independently advocated for it on @admin's suggestion thread prior to seeing @Norfolk nChance's post here.

It would be sol helpful for people to figure out "where the action is," I just really feel like it would be a boon to those seeking PVP (and possibly, those seeking to avoid PVP).

If tracking the location of each kill with a dot or square is too much, I think it would be fine to just show this activity on a region-by-region basis, as a toggle-able layer for the main map. And the time lapse feature would definitely be cool, especially if you could have variable replay speeds so you could watch it like one of those radar weather maps.

Good suggestion for helpful and engaging content.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@admin & @Ink

I know you’re really busy and I love the direction.

Questions…

Would the toggle map in all seriousness be worth us pushing?

Why I ask is the data on the new patch is perfect for not only Jeheil but an Nation Commander.

Will the data be kept and location of event also?

People Locations and Nations, it's all there. 

If it’s not worth it then I’ll drop it

Norfolk.