Game-Labs Forum

IDEA FOR NEW NATION MECHANIC

This system would address the following issues:

1. Would provide a good starting point for new players to run missions, explore the map and trade where there would be less PVP ganking, as only pirates would be a threat. Would then have option of entering the PB RvR world later if they wished through 'privateer-naturalisation route'.

2. Ends the utterly daft and unrealistic situation of Pirates as a nation sailing in fleets of SOL's and threatening the Ports of large powers. (Which imo is currently ruining the entire Pirate experience atm). Pirates would now have to behave like Pirates and would be heavily outgunned at National Hubs having to make use of 'Hit and Run 'tactics .

Being a Pirate would be HARD (The big pirate clans need to just just go and join a nation like everyone else if they want to RVR/PB/sail 1st Rates)

3. Would make Free Ports (and Safe Ports*) far more interesting hubs of trade and commerce

4. Would create some interesting dynamics with regard to the use of 'Privateers' in RvR skirmish and hostility raising

5. Would make 'Pirates' a real threat but (probably) less numerous and spread more evenly across the map

6. Would allow players to explore different aspects of the game and would provide more 'fluidity' in nation Balance of power

7. Would rid need for 'forged papers' and players would now never be in a 'dead end' with regard to their playing careers

8. Allows players the option of a Merchant/Trading Profession without national constraints

9. Would also open the possibility of 'WANTED' Bounty Hunting Rewards (killing Pirates)

10. Has more 'historical accuracy' than current system displays

IDEA:

Every Player begins as an 'Independent Free Trader'. NOT a member of any nation

More Free Ports added to Map and they would be in 2 Categories:
'Free Ports' and 'Safe Ports'
The only difference being that 'Safe Ports have a protection area around them (as national ports do currently).

INDEPENDENT (FREE) TRADER

This would be the starting default setting for the beginning player. They:

- Can ONLY sail, fleet or build 5th - 7th Rates!!!!
- Do NOT have National Ports
- CANNOT take part in Port Battles
- CAN dock at ANY Port but must pay a tariff (except at Free/Safeports) (dont pay if smuggler flags enabled)
- CAN build outposts and Buildings at Safe Ports or Free Ports
- CAN teleport from Free/Safe Port to Free/Safe Port (*except below)
- CANNOT attack other players (*except Pirates see below)
- CANNOT be attacked by other players (*except Pirates see below) (or if smuggler flags enabled)

This provides a safe(er) envronment in which new players can learn the game, trade, explore the map 
and be (relatively) safe from pvp gank, while they decide how they wish to play the game.

The player then essentially has 4 Options:

1. Remain an Independent Free Trader
2. Become a 'Privateer' for any 'adopted' nation (NOT simultaneously)
3. Become a Privateer for an adopted nation and THEN 'Naturalize' and become a National
4. Become a Pirate

(Players will have the ability to revert back to any of these states, but at a heavy price, see Below)

PRIVATEER:

AT ANY TIME Independent Free Traders can sail to a Nation Capital and acquire (buy) a 'Letter of Marque' (Ref 'Kotles' idea June 2) for that Nation.

When activated the Player is a 'Privateer' for that nation and:

- Can ONLY sail, fleet or build 5th - 7th Rates
- CAN dock at (adopted) National Ports (no tariff) and Free/Safe ports
- CAN NO LONGER dock at any Port (except as smuggler in trade ship in usual way)
- CAN be attacked by any players of other (warring?) nations
- CAN attack players of other (warring?) nations (not 'Independent free traders')
- Can build outposts and Buildings at Free/Safe ports
- CANNOT build outposts or buildings at the (adopted) National Ports (yet)
- CAN teleport from Safe/Free port to Safe/Free port (but NOT national Ports (yet)
- Can raise hostility and skirmish during PB's (although not enter the PB itself)

(Becoming a) NATIONAL:

After a certain amount of experience is gained while a Privateer for an adopted Nation the player then has the option to become 'naturalized' and become a member of the nation in the normal (current) way. (Thus unlocking 4th-1st Rates, Port Battles, Teleporting between and building Outposts and Buildings in National Ports)
Then able to Build Outposts at National Ports but loses ALL Outposts and Buildings at Free/Safe ports and the ability to teleport between them.

A Naturalised Player can revert back to Independent Free Trader at any time (after 1 week) 
BUT will lose any Outpost or Buildings in the National Ports (and then loses PB and 4th-1st Rate Sailing ability)

OR: Player can remain a National Privateer

OR: Become a 'Pirate' 

PIRATE:

Independent Free Traders can 'hoist the Jolly Roger' and become 'Pirates' Once Jolly Roger is hoisted the player becomes a Pirate and
loses any Outposts or Buildings at Safe Ports and ability Teleport to them (But retains Outposts and Buildings and ability to teleport
between Free Ports)

- Can ONLY sail, fleet or build 5th - 7th Rates!!!!
- Do NOT have National Ports
- CANNOT take part in Port Battles
- CAN build outposts and Buildings at Free Ports (NOT Safe Ports)
- CAN teleport from Free Port to Free Port (NOT Safe Ports)
- CAN only dock at freeports (NOT Safe Ports) (unless smuggler tags in Trader in usual way)
- CAN be attacked by any players
- CAN attack any players (including Independent Free Traders)

Pirates also have the option to get in a Trader Ship and Activate 'Smuggler Flags' and Sail to a National Capital. where they can
'Make Reparations'. Upon paying a (large?) sum of gold the Player loses all Buildings and Outposts and becomes a Privateer for that nation
(from where (after 1 week) they can then revert back to Independent Free Trader)

I cannot see any obvious alt (or otherwise) exploits of this (yet!!!)

Obviously things can be tweaked

Please Comment (constructively):

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rediii said:

All in all the idea is ok, but this one breaks it all.

Yes, there would be a method of bringing in goods without fear of attack (other than from Pirates), is that so bad? and a carebear role for players who want to do that. Not sure how that breaks it though? It's already pretty easy to achieve this using alts. Would also mean use of Free Traders to supply nations which might be interesting. Anyway, that particular one is not a deal breaker. I just did't think nations would attack free traders. But the idea still works without it anyway. 

It's fine if people don't like the idea, but please at least EXPLAIN Why? and try not to write off an idea just because you don't like one aspect of it.

Edited by Hullabaloo

I think this was tried once before, a long time ago with the neutral nation.  

I also dont agree with the build and sail 5th rates.. NO to that, you want to be free and not tied to national politics then you sail an unrated ship 6-7th rate.  

19 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I think this was tried once before, a long time ago with the neutral nation.  

I also dont agree with the build and sail 5th rates.. NO to that, you want to be free and not tied to national politics then you sail an unrated ship 6-7th rate.  

OK, I wasn't aware of that, I have seen something similar proposed by 'Koltes' on June 2. No 5th rates is very harsh!! :) Perhaps though. But pirates only in 6th 7th, well no-one would be pirate. But otherwise, yeah that's a tweak that I would be ok with too.

Edited by Hullabaloo
typo

35 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

OK, I wasn't aware of that, I have seen something similar proposed by 'Koltes' on June 2. No 5th rates is very harsh!! :) Perhaps though. But pirates only in 6th 7th, well no-one would be pirate. But otherwise, yeah that's a tweak that I would be ok with too.

If they had pirates only in 6th and 7th rates I would be pirate.. because well that is ALL I sail now LOL.