Game-Labs Forum

Did you have an issue with 5 mins timers? POLL

Based on your ACTUAL after patch experience  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion about 5 min timers?

• I had no problems. 5 min SHOULD STAY
    • I had trouble with 5 minutes. Join timers need to be REDUCED
    • I had trouble with 5 minutes. Join timer should be INCREASED

4 hours ago, koltes said:

But did you also test 5 minutes timers WHILE having the following mechanics below ALL COMBINED together?

1. no GPS to know your pinpoint location;
2. no Coordinates to communicate location of the battle to your mates;
3. no Teleports to come close to the battle location if you are on the other side of the map;
4. No ship slinging to instantly bring ships across the map;
5. Lack of gold so people can't afford to buy crap ship in store just to gank someone

Yes, actually we did.

There were no teleports, just teleport to capital.

There were no coordinates. There was no towing and no delivery. And actually there was no production at all, no buildings, everything was by contracts oh and there was a massive ( like you've never seen ) oak and iron shortages and a lot of folk were crying instead of going out of cozy home waters to get it. But I digress.

:) devs have statistical data, but we DID test that scenario.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, koltes said:

I would like to remind you all that this is not a poll about your opinion,but opinion that is based on RECENT after patch encounters. If you have to argue please bring recent encounters to the table.

As for inability to see being on the other side of the land, or due to lack of visibility or distance you all forget that sound of cannonade was traveling miles above the water and used to be an indicator of ongoing fights, thus attracts coastal defense of check out what is going on.

Last night I was playing Cold Waters when a clan mate called out that they were about to catch a player Surprise with Indiaman in his fleet a few minutes away from my outpost.  I immediately logged in and set sail toward the reported battle location.  I was off a bit in my direction and spotted the battle somewhat more upwind from where I expected.  I readjusted course and battle closed just as I approached.  Another clanmate who was in area but out of view of initial encounter was able to join in his yacht.  The enemy player lost his Surprise, but got his Indiaman out of the battle.  So...

5 min timer - I would have got into the battle and that player probably would have lost his Indiaman also.

3 min timer - even though I wasn't in the game and was in port outside of view range of battle location, I would probably gotten into the battle if I sailed the correct course out of port.

2 min timer - there would have been no way to join this battle from port. I would have had to be in game and at sea sailing at least in the same area with my clanmates.  Possibly the other clan mate in his yacht that was out of view of initial encounter might not have got in.

1 min timer - enemy player would have only fought the single ship he saw at the time of the initial interception.  A good player could have have won that battle or at least escaped with both ships, and could have had the confidence to immediately leverage his AI against the single enemy since he would know no unseen enemies would be dropping in after the battle started.

1 min timer + signal perk - enemy would have only fought the enemies he could see at the time the battle started (and maybe only enemies with good wind position), and if there had been multiple enemies, they might have had to fight any unseen friends 5-10min away from battle (or in port, or not even in the game) he had available to come help him.  Allow for 1.2-1.5x BR reinforcement and smart play, and the "gankee" side might even turn the tables on the "ganker" side.

So again, how do short timers combined with generous signal perk advantage "gankers"?

Edited by akd
  • Like 6