Game-Labs Forum

Book drops to help speed up slot unlock.

Hi all, I am not going to spend time explaining why grinding each ship to unlock another's slots is just ridiculous, but I will have to say that it can work if Developers add items that would help players speed up the process. I am suggesting to add Books. You will simply read, learn and unlock. It's quite realistic because captains always had a small library on their ships. Capturing another's ship you would discover nice collections from time to time. 

How it works:

JMEOXv9.jpg

Each ship will need 5 rare Books (all tomes) to unlock all slots. Let's call them Weatherworn Books. They will be in tomes. Each tome will represent ship slot. 1,2,3,4,5.

So, all you have to do is go fight NPC or Player and get a chance to find these Books. They will drop in random order and sometimes you can have 2 or more of the same one, but they should be tradable. 

For example, I go and hit an NPC ship and I kill it, loot system drops me Weatherworn Book of Mercury, Tome 1. (Click use to unlock 1 slot, you must be in Mercury ship). I then can stack these books in my warehouse and use them only when I sail such ship or sell them to others who sails such ship&needs it now. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, let's say I went out and spent 2 hours hunting. I got:

1x'Weatherworn Book of Mercury, Tome 3' - Unlocks slot N3

1x'Weatherworn Book of Frigate, Tome 5' - Unlocks slot N5

1x'Weatherworn Book of Brig, Tome 2' - Unlocks slot N2

I only sail Frigate, so I keep the one I need and list the other 2 for sale. I then click and unlock only slot 5 (tome 5 book was found). This system will slowly start helping all players unlock slots on their favorite ships. Those who sail and fight get rewarded by selling these books. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's say there is 15% chance to receive it from NPC and 25% chance from player or it could be lower. Collect them all and speed up unlock process. This is the content that would make this game interesting.

Edited by Ned Low

I really don't like random drops. You should be rewarded of what you do and not for beeing lucky.

They removed drops of ship blueprints for this reason even they introduced random drops in other ways. as less random it is as less frustrated people get. Imagine you would already have sunk 20 ships and didn't get a single book yet. a firend of yours sank 5 ships and already got 2 books. you would maybe be happy for him but annoyed because you did much more but have nothing yet.

13 minutes ago, Guruthos said:

I really don't like random drops. You should be rewarded of what you do and not for beeing lucky.

They removed drops of ship blueprints for this reason even they introduced random drops in other ways. as less random it is as less frustrated people get. Imagine you would already have sunk 20 ships and didn't get a single book yet. a firend of yours sank 5 ships and already got 2 books. you would maybe be happy for him but annoyed because you did much more but have nothing yet.

And? you will get others books that you can sell and he can trade the ones you need to you if he got 2. Once system settles in it will be nice non stop process of selling and buying books to unlock perk slots.

Unless you enjoying this mindless grind. If you think about current gring system and it's purpose, it's designed only to keep people on server. Let's say you did grind 4 weeks in Brig and unlocked everything for Niagara, will you sail Brig ever again? No. This system did not change anything or added any new content to this game unfortunately.

Edited by Ned Low

so either you are lucky amd still maybe earn more or you need to spend your money on unlocking ships if you are unlucky. i understand that that would be a way for those who don't really like fighting to unlock their ships. but if you wanna do sth else then fighting why you really need unlocked slots?

it's just my point of view that random drops are not a good thing. i like the system right now. keeps me more motivated if i can actually see my progress even it's slow and it's not based on luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guruthos said:

so either you are lucky amd still maybe earn more or you need to spend your money on unlocking ships if you are unlucky. i understand that that would be a way for those who don't really like fighting to unlock their ships. but if you wanna do sth else then fighting why you really need unlocked slots?

it's just my point of view that random drops are not a good thing. i like the system right now. keeps me more motivated if i can actually see my progress even it's slow and it's not based on luck.

For some people it's time consuming. Devs never balance this game. They lean towards people who play for at least 3 hours. So, those who only have 1 hour to play will need months and month to unlock and reach ship perk slots others already have unlocked. This creates very unbalanced world and to make it work for everyone I suggest to add books. So, those who only have hour maybe will find the right book that they need and speed up the process. 

You can still fight and unlock slots, but we need something that will reduce the time. Every other MMO has it and use it. 

Also, answer this question why do you spend 4 weeks grinding a ship if you never going to sail it after you move to another one? Why? Why there is no shortcut? This is clearly designed to keep us online and grinding. There is no fun in this. 

Edited by Ned Low

20 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

For some people it's time consuming. Devs never balance this game. They lean towards people who play for at least 3 hours. So, those who only have 1 hour to play will need months and month to unlock and reach ship perk slots others already have unlocked. This creates very unbalanced world and to make it work for everyone I suggest to add books. So, those who only have hour maybe will find the right book that they need and speed up the process. 

You can still fight and unlock slots, but we need something that will reduce the time. Every other MMO has it and use it. 

Also, answer this question why do you spend 4 weeks grinding a ship if you never going to sail it after you move to another one? Why? Why there is no shortcut? This is clearly designed to keep us online and grinding. There is no fun in this. 

if you play just an hour a day instead of 3 hours a day your chance to find a book will be just 1/3rd aswell. so i don't see the change. you can buy it yes but you need to earn the money for it 1/3rd of the game time makes 1/3rd of the money ... no difference at all. 

every mmo has a boost for players who don't have much time? you mean small xp boost? or do you mean free to play/pay games. yeah you can invest real money to get advantage.

every open world sandbox game has some kind of grinding farming. why should i grind lvl if i simply could enter at max level? why should i earn money if they simply could give me unlimited money? why should i play a game without cheats if it is easier with cheats? in my point of view asking why you need to grind ships and the question i mentioned before are some kind of the same level.