Game-Labs Forum

After the wipe, how should I begin?

6 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Choose a Delivery Mission that points to a port of your nation. They are not useless. This is not silly.

4 of the 5 available delivery missions are for foreign ports.  The one delivery mission available to a port of my nation is a commodity of with a weight of 250 per unit which will not fit in my cutter's hold limit of 150.  I can't do any of them.  That's pretty useless and silly from my point of view. 

Edited by rownd

As for some AI focussed combat tips (note this does not count for PvP as players will usualy not make the same mistake as AI would do).

For lower tier ships use carronades on your ship, the AI always gets close so you'll have no problem with the reduced range, accurcy and penetration. It uses fewer crew and reloads faster and has a better damage output. If you use basic cutters, you should be able to find some free "strong" basic cutters, mahogany, live oak. They'll keep you afloat a big longer. If you are not confident with your skill its better to go with a stronger ship instead of more agile.

As for fighting AI 1vs1, for these smaller ships its less predictable but it almost always works for the bigger ships (5th rate and up), you always start a mission with the wind comming from your left going to your right. You sail towards your AI enemy and you try to sail on the right of him (so you are passing him downwind). He'll most likely will try to turn downwind right in front of you but you just put your nose a bit more downwind to force him to pass you on the left. You can now discharge a full carro broadside on the enemy, you'll most likely be yardarm to yardarm passing, so all balls should hit easily.

When you did the pass turn your ship to point downwind, the AI will most likely do the same. Smaller ships might tend to go upwind sometimes cause they can tack better, but they usualy don't. Now you should be more or less parallel with the enemy where you have a fresh broadside loaded and can aim now a this side that you had hit with your first broadside.

If you are of equal strenght, you should now try to keep going broadside to broadside with him, you got a one broadside headstart and got one repair that he hasn't and you got the highest damage output. If you know what you are doing you can force him to stay broadside to broadside and sink him easily. Turn away as soon as he has no armour left on one side and let him chase you till he sinks.

When you sail next to eachother, make sure he is always sailing slightly ahead of you this avoids that he'll pass behind you and you cant get on his weak side again easily. This is a tip for AI as wel as PvP. If you sail ahead, he can easily drop sails and turn behind you if you are sailing downwind.

I find small ship battles (like BC, pickle, lynx privateer) battles to be frustrating cause the ships turn almost on the spot and battles take frustratingly long sometimes just cause they turn so fast. You'll find fighting AI is much easier with bigger ships.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rownd said:

4 of the 5 available delivery missions are for foreign ports.  The one delivery mission available to a port of my nation is a commodity of with a weight of 250 per unit which will not fit in my cutter's hold limit of 150.  I can't do any of them.  That's pretty useless and silly from my point of view. 

Gotcha. Don't different ports offer different Delivery missions ? 

8 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Gotcha. Don't different ports offer different Delivery missions ? 

I went to deliver my rhum to Gustavia and was denied entry, then ended up at Hat Island because I couldn't enter any other port in the area.  Maybe it will be different post-wipe. 

I have the yacht.  Since that's an exclusive item, I'm guessing it isn't possible for other players to capture it?  Or is it?  Also, my understanding is that the yacht will always be available as a redeemable whatever happens to it or my characters?