Game-Labs Forum

Why are my units getting owned while in Fortifications?

LegioX

It seems whenever on defense the unit i place in a fortification stance takes an abnormal about of casualties. They also seem to be firing at a slower rate than say in line battle. Sometimes I feel they are used better by placing them on a house/forest/anything else that provides cover. Is this right? The bonuses to resist incoming fire and cover, do not seem to reflect how many causalities my men are taking.   

Edited by LegioX

your right in your assessment. In a previous patch state, the community complained about certain scenario fortifications being too formidable, then after a patch those certain fortifications were nerfed some, as well as those who were already a bit weak, making those even more useless. Seems to me all the maps or scenarios do not have the same amount of cover afforded by fortifications. Seems I should be wrong about that, but not in experiance.

I occasionally use fortifications, even though they seem to take too much damage, but they do seem to make morale last a bit longer.

The cover of a fortification, which is indicated by the tooltip on the shield, is not necessarily the same amount of cover as a house or a forest.

Namely, check the cover bonus on the shield. If it's not better than other terrain nearby, you shouldn't use the fortification in a shooting match. If the enemy charges you, however, the fortification does provide a bonus to melee.

Fortifications should be hard to take and expect losses, but I find my lost some times when I have way out numebers.   2000 vs say 250 I been rooted and sent running.  Would be nice if you can breka those fortifications with arty fire on them.  The problem I have in most of these fights is the dang clock.  It doesn't give me time to beat down fortifications or cover before I engaged.  Hell some of the small missions I draw/lost as I hadn't even got close to the target in time.   

When I think of Fortifications, Fredricksburg comes to mind. A outnumbered defender holds back an attacker. Inf vs Inf the unit behind fortifications should take very few loses. Now if you bring artillery up and pound that fortification, unit should start taking substantial loses. Right now it just seems the unit is in 24% cover behind a fortification and the loses that units sustains is just not worth holding.   

Edited by LegioX