Game-Labs Forum

why are enemy troops so beefed up

william1993

Because otherwise your game would be a damn boring cakewalk or just simply, it would be over. You as a customer want a game you can enjoy for hours and want it to reflect results of previous battles closely in the following campaign, because otherwise war would be over after 1st Manassas when you take Richmond.. voilà, game finished !

I don't mind so much that the AI army regenerates even after crushing losses.  What bothers me is that if I conserve my army and build up a large force, it's meaningless since the AI will simply scale up with me.  Conversely, if a player takes huge losses, the AI will reduce to keep a certain ratio.  I think the AI should bring more or less historical forces (even if it was crushed before) to each battle, and the player brings what he can, for better or worse.  

Edited by Fred Sanford
  • Like 1

I think a good way to work around AI Scaling would be to have  Dynamic Campaigns, let me explain, when you beat a major battle you move on to the Next campaign, for instance Maryland Campaign has antietam and the two smaller battles for each side, then you move to the Winter Campaign, with the two smaller battles and Fredericksburg. during these campaigns, you could set it so that the losses at the small battles carries over to the Major battle, that way you get to kill the Union/Confederate Armies, so they aren't full strength at the Major battle and it solves one of the many problems of the AI being able to shart out 3/2 star brigades like there nothing.

I thought about this mainly when i did the frederickburg battle, as you have the portion where you fight in the Town at the pontoon bridges, well they dynamically keep the casualties when moving to the next day, why not make it so for the rest of the Winter Campaign, and overall SIngleplayer Campaign. I see a lot of problems with it though, as some battes would be far too easy for people and others have Units that don't actually appear during the Major Battles, i.e. during the Chancellorsville Campaign you need to fight the Union Skirmish/Cavalry army(which is a pain in the ass by the way, but still fun) and they don't make much of an appearance at Chancellorsville. on top of that the coding would take a while to make before being able to implement it. 

As the Game currently stands i don't mind the AI scaling as much as i did when the game first released as it was bogus that the Union/Confeds would field ass amounts of units, and the smaller battles didn't even make a difference, when they updated the game to make these minor battles important, it made me 10x happier as now there was a reason for fighting them, besides the money/recruit income you'd get.