Game-Labs Forum

RIO HILL (NORMAL) and (HARD)

Slaithium

Rio Hill is impossible to come out positive with, you will loose and spend more resources than you will gain from the battle. The number of units verses the limited 4 that confederates have makes this a very lop-sided battle and makes the entire battle not fun. This is not a challenge, it is precieved as a battle the devs have purposely designed for players to lose because of 1) the extreme disadvantage you have unit disparity and 2) the resources you will gain vs your loses 3) the time your reinforcements come that battle essentially over unless a miracle occurs.

Possible out-comes:

A: There is a very specific niche strategy that must occur to be successful in this battle. Which would make it very linear unlike most battles in the game.

B: There needs to be a nerf of what the Union gets or a buff to the number of unit the confederates can or speed up the time reinforcements would arrive.

C: Also, when your reinforcements arrive the AI already has artillery set up and position on the battle-field, with superior number of units. So A or B is the only possible outcomes I can for-see.

This sort of thing should not be in the game at all period, and is to the point after 30+ of trying to over-come this obstacle makes the game unfun and has frustrate me beyond the point of excusing it. 

Now if someone can tell me how to succeed on this I am all ears, because I have tried numerous strategies with either winning and losing almost the entire 10 brigades or just get slaughtered repeatedly.

Thanks, in advance.

To win this battle witthout many losses, i put 3 good brigade + one sniper unit in the wood in the north, near the river.  You can slaughter union cavalry when they arrive. After that, i lead one brigade in the north of the map to reache the forest who cut the map on a north-south axis. This place allow you to protect your counter-attack on the depot.

2 two others brigades stay in wood waiting for reinforcement.

With my new troops, i go to the small wood near the farm to push the skirmisher unit. After i launch a massive counter-attack on the VP and when i retake it, i go back to avoid free kill from snipers.

With this technique, i sustain +-2k-2k5 losses.

I hope i will help you.

But i'm agree with you, this battle is really not funny and very frustrating

Man Rio Hill really is a frustrating battle. IIRC I used 4 750-man Cavalry brigades equipped for melee and had them run around as a massive doomstack slaughtering the small union units until my reinforcements arrived, whereupon I actually secured the objective and won.

It does require a very specific strat to beat on hard, because all the skirmishers are 100 in all stats with sniper rifles.

That said though, sniper rifles against 100% cover don't kill people very quickly, especially since they stay at max range.

So, the long and short of it, park your initial four squads to catch the cavalry as they're crossing the river (and thus have negative cover). Once the cavalry are beaten, you park one of your infantry squads inside the houses on the VP to sponge. The snipers will poke at you for maybe 10-15 at a time, in exchange for burning up a lot of supply, and just stall for the reinforcements.

If the reinforcements do not include at least 3 cavalry squads, it's quite hard to sweep the field of all of the skirmishers since they can go toe-to-toe with your cavalry individually due to having 100 melee.

Edited by Wandering1

Though I agree, not ALL battles throughout history saw evenly matched forces. There were times when troops were put in the most difficult of situations. At the least it would be nice to see reinforcements arrive a bit sooner. They also seem to move slower. Maybe it's just the expanse of ground they have to cover to get into action.

Edited by Garyjd

2 hours ago, Garyjd said:

Though I agree, not ALL battles throughout history saw evenly matched forces. There were times when troops were put in the most difficult of situations. At the least it would be nice to see reinforcements arrive a bit sooner. They also seem to move slower. Maybe it's just the expanse of ground they have to cover to get into action.

They go uphill.

IMO this is not a fun battle. In any way. It involves superhigh micro and niche techniques and you suffer lots of casualties. I tend to skip it (whereas I will play Blackwater.)

23 hours ago, Squadron HQ said:

They go uphill.

IMO this is not a fun battle. In any way. It involves superhigh micro and niche techniques and you suffer lots of casualties. I tend to skip it (whereas I will play Blackwater.)

I'm finding the same to be true of 2nd Winchester. What you stand to gain from winning (as the Union player anyways) is not worth the losses you'll take to get them. I chose to retreat my units off the map to fight another day. Just be sure your reputation can take the hit.

Edited by Garyjd