Game-Labs Forum

gettysburg

sonnypemberton

Not sure if any of you have played the campaign Gettysburg, but I was curious if everyone else had really high officer casualties. I usually get by a battle with a couple wounded and occasionally one killed in action. I have not finished Gettysburg yet and have over a dozen. Was this intended?

This is confederate hard playthrough.

If its any consolation, that ground took one hell of a lot of Confederate officers...

Seriously, Pickett's command lost every regimental and brigade officer when they charged across that valley, and he wasn't the only one to hold job interviews after the long walk from Seminary Ridge.

25 minutes ago, GeneralPITA said:

Maj Gen Reynolds died at Gburg, highest ranking officer of the war to die on either side. 

Basically died right at the start of battle as he sent reinforcements to Buford. 

Sort of. Highest ranking to be killed in combat. There were a few other MGs killed as well, Sedgwick and McPherson were also MGs. Reynolds was the highest killed at Gettysburg, a Corp Commander shot just outside the farm leading up to Seminary Ridge on the 1st day. His marker is there in the woods, if you ever get a chance to go there.

Albert S. Johnston was killed at Shiloh, he was a Confederate General and the highest ranking on either side.

Edited by Pandemonium
Both Sides of the Fight
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GeneralPITA said:

Maj Gen Reynolds died at Gburg, highest ranking officer of the war to die on either side. 

Basically died right at the start of battle as he sent reinforcements to Buford. 

8 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Sort of. Highest ranking to be killed in combat. There were a few other MGs killed as well, Sedgwick and McPherson were also MGs. Reynolds was the highest killed at Gettysburg, a Corp Commander shot just outside the farm leading up to Seminary Ridge on the 1st day. His marker is there in the woods, if you ever get a chance to go there.

Albert S. Johnston was killed at Shiloh, he was a Confederate General and the highest ranking on either side.

Yeah it kind of depends on how you define higher rank. The tricky thing here is that the Federals only ever had two Lt. Generals during the war, and not concurrently, whereas the Confederates had six full Generals and several Lt. Generals :P.

A.S. Johnston as a "full general" in the Confederate army was the highest ranking to die, if we consider Confederate rankings to be equal to Federal rankings.

It might be easier to use their command as a criteria. In which case, as army commanders, A.S. Johnston and James B. McPherson share the dubious honour being the only major army commanders to die on either side (unless I'm forgetting someone).