Game-Labs Forum

Spanish Navy vs Greenpeace

PrezesOi

i would honor greenpeace if they would actualy doing something against he countless ammunition that got thrown into the ocean after the first and second world war simply because an place where these would be savely storaged on land where to costly and unsave.

i readed somewhere that it was 50-60 years for granades to rust so far away that chemicals of the explosiv start leaking into the enviorment.

and roughly 70 years for bombs.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1030-09.htm

japanese  KOBELCO company is one if not the only company in the world who is activly lifting ammunitition from the sea to defuse and dispose them on land.

map of worldwide WW2 ordenace in the oceans

versenkte-waffen-ostsee2.jpg

and about the baltic an caricatur from the germans about the baltic as holiday target.

,,look dady i found a shell made of iron,,  ,,and i found some burning amber!,,

versenkte-waffen-ostsee.jpg

Those are certainly troubling figures. I was aware of the issue of ordnance such as land mines, grenades and bombs left over from various wars, but chemical  weapons in the seas seems like a much more significant issue, I'm frankly surprised I haven't heard more about it.  

"There have been sporadic incidences since the war of Baltic fisherman suffering burns from lumps of solidified mustard gas caught in their nets, and once a mustard-gas seeping from a canister washed up on the shores of the Polish seaside town of Darlowo burnt about 100 people and left four victims blind."

Something also to think of is if contaminated fish reaches the market:p. So it should worry all goverments even if it is in international waters because it may end up as their dinner:D