Game-Labs Forum

What happened to the ships boats when clearing for action?

Non issue this end too - I agree it'd be nice to see spare etc on deck, if only to give an impression of how little space there was to sail let alone fight these amazing things, but I can't see it as a biggy either way.

For interest's sake, how much info do you have on that painting Panthera? Beautiful though it is, a few things make me wary of using it as an accurate source on how to fight a square rigger.

Baggy

Non issue this end too - I agree it'd be nice to see spare etc on deck, if only to give an impression of how little space there was to sail let alone fight these amazing things, but I can't see it as a biggy either way.

For interests sake, how much info do you have on that painting Panthera? A few things make me wary of using it as an accurate source.

Baggy

The painting was done by Denis Dighton in 1825 and named "Fall of Nelson", and it's just one of many depicting the battle onboard Victory at Trafalgar.

Regarding it's accuracy, well I can't say, but all the other paintings have the boats on deck as well, so...

Here's another one:

5821528687_a2eb04a60d_b.jpg

• Like 1

It would be nice to see your crew shredded by all the extra wooden shrapnel created by solid shot ripping through the boats on deck though.  B)

Really?  Would be nice to see?  I know it happened in real life...all the time.a..but "nice?"  Guess I am showing my age by this comment but I am more interested in the dynamics involved in sailing battles than I am in seeing how realistic one can make chunks of human flesh go flying all over the place.

• Like 1

Just for the record:

At early testing staged devs asked the community if they should render boats in their davids, hanging on the side or if they should show them at all.

About everyone agreed that a ship wich is cleared for action and not taken by surprise will tow the boats astern. As said in this thread, too the boats will get hit by cannonballs and splinter into lethal crew killing projectiles.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/108-boats-during-battle/?hl=boats

The initial question was different but the conclusion still exist today

Thats why devs dont bother showing them.

I still think its the best way to do it.

• Like 1

Just for the record:

At early testing staged devs asked the community if they should render boats in their davids, hanging on the side or if they should show them at all.

About everyone agreed that a ship wich is cleared for action and not taken by surprise will tow the boats astern. As said in this thread, too the boats will get hit by cannonballs and splinter into lethal crew killing projectiles.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/108-boats-during-battle/?hl=boats

The initial question was different but the conclusion still exist today

Thats why devs dont bother showing them.

I still think its the best way to do it.

Yeah, it's the more realistic option during battle, although some might miss them whilst just cruising around. I'm fine with the decision to have them off though.