Game-Labs Forum

Recent changes make Fredricksburg battle completely broken

Commander_Rahl

1 minute ago, Col_Kelly said:

Rahl, If you truly think so make a bug report while in game, as I told you Maryes Heights can be beaten and in several ways. Considering you have a huge number advantage there the scenario would be too easy otherwise. Give more troops to the confederates and its no longer the battle of Fredericksburg.

Already completed one last night.   Just wanted to bring extra awareness by also addressing on forum.   Should really be checked out.   

1) If Mayne heights is supposed to be impossible without cheese, then why is it in the campaign?

2) I dont believe that Confederate troops got engaged with bayonets at Mayne Heights so I don't get why you would say it's historical for them to be invulnerable to bayonet charges.  If you get in a gun duel in the open ground you will certainly take 8-1 casualties as the Union... if not worse.

I don't remember saying it's historical for them to be invulnerable to bayonet charge. I'm saying these OP fortifications represent an historical advantage the rebs had back then. I agree it might sound similar but it's not. 

They werent engaged with a bayonet charge because the Union never managed to get any closer than 50 yards. In the game however that effect is impossible to represent since you can mass brigades in a big blob, using one as a shield before the rest can charge in (something that could not be done IRL as regiments had to keep their distance between each other to avoid confusion and mixed orders). If a melee bonus wasnt given to the rebs then the battle would be pretty straight forward so in order to counter that and still give an advantage to the otherwise largely outnumber confederates you have to give them a counter-charge bonus. 

Finally Maryes Heights is possible without 'cheese' as many posters on this forum have already proven. 

• 1 month later...

Cavalry won that battle for me. I had 2 melee cavalry brigades of 750 men and cleared out the Northern flank using them. Then I've launched the attack from there and wiped out the rest of their forces. Just try to avoid your cavalrymen becoming a primal target, drag their attention and provoke fire with infantry and then launch a cavalry charge while they're reloading.

Also it was essential to send at least 3 infantry brigades to face the Jackson's reinforcements while they cross the river.

It was a tough battle though, I had more casualties than I usually do (in the end it was something between 9300 of my forces vs 24900 of CSA).

432535.JPG

Edited by Ultra_Tovarisch

I don't know Fredericksburg is fairly easy for me, i'm still having trouble with Chancellorsville, but i'm getting better at it each time. As for Freddysburg well i always send my most veteran units around the north flank of Maryes Heights and encircle the Confeds, and then i have the more green troops assault the stone wall just to keep the confederates occupied while i do encircle them. on top of this if you win the first and second portions of the battles for the town and the hill off to the way far right flank of the confederates, it will allow reinforcements in the second stage of the Assault on Marye's height(if they are close enough) but even then i didn't need them i had already taken both points before they had hit the field