Game-Labs Forum

skirmishers as separate units

gwgardner

I thought that in real life skirmishers were sent forward from a regiment/brigade, to screen, scout, disperse  And then brought back in when the unit was to go into a different formation.

Why are skirmishers treated as completely separate units in the game?

I thought that in real life skirmishers were sent forward from a regiment/brigade, to screen, scout, disperse  And then brought back in when the unit was to go into a different formation.

Why are skirmishers treated as completely separate units in the game?

The skirmishers in the game represent dismounted cavalry, not skirmishers from an infantry brigade.

I haven't played the game, but am on the verge of getting it.  One of the elements that was appealing was the promise of historical OOBs.  Historically were there Confederate dismounted cavalry involved in the opening engagement at Gettysburg?  I've seen them in the game's youtube videos, situated between Davis's and Archer's brigades, advancing on McPherson's ridge.  I can't recall ever reading about a dismounted Confederate cavalry unit making that assault.

Buford had two cavalry brigades initially at Gettysburg.  In UGG, a brigade level game, these two brigades are broken down into five units (3 skirmishers & 2 videttes).  

There is no historical basis for this decision. 

Please share the historical information you are talking about - this OOB structure was a pure game decision that has alot to do with the preferences of the design team and little to do with history IMHO.  The decision was based on the need for the Union cavalry to hold off the CSA until the Union infantry arrived.  The whole first scenario is nerfed to accomplish this design goal.

This design decision distorts the historical reality of the opening events at Gettysburg.

At Gettysburg Buford did not rout any CSA brigades.  Buford lost just over 100 men from his two cavalry brigades.

In UGG the cavalry are way too powerful for the ACW.

• Like 1

I hope that the developers provide the necessary capability for the player to change formations, allowing for a unit to send out skirmishers and call them back.  I very much dislike the ahistorical existence of permanent skirmisher units in the game.  I'm not referring to dismounted cavalry, but infantry skirmishers.

As the game is set up now, I would personally have to use a 'house rule' attaching a skirmusher unit to an infantry unit, sending it forward when needed, then hiding it behind the line when 'called back.'  Thus simulating the actual use of skirmishers.

For an otherwise fine-looking game, the existence of the separate skirmisher units is an unfortunate 'compromise.'

• Like 1