Game-Labs Forum

Free port blockading

Free port blockading  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should nations be able to deny use of free ports to enemy fleets?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the blockade have a timeout like port ownership?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted NO to blockades
  3. 3. Should warships already in the port be allowed to leave?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted NO to blockades

Free ports are being used more as bases for fleets than trading hubs; my suggestion is: use some sort of hostility system to allow a nation or alliance to blockade a free port.

The blockaded port behaves like it belongs to the blockading nation but it still allows outpost operation and trading by smugglers.

The only real difference: warships can't enter such port without breaking the blockade first. They still can leave, so it can be broken from inside if a force big enough is present.

Blockade will of course be far easier to flip than port ownership resulting in it only working against ganking fleets near territorial waters. It will work much like port ownership itself, with or without timeout after establishment.

Number of possible simultaneous blockades can be of course limited for balancing purposes.

Edited by Diodo

Er.... we already have all the sandbox mechanics to do this... I don't really understand the suggestion.

We have the liberty and means to enforce a blockade.

Remember one thing, it is a multiplayer game with mechanics that also support solo play.

Conquest options, which include the raiding enemy waters, blockading venues of access to resources, and all other navy operations require cooperationg between multiple players.

Exactly the same option as you present. Deploy ( read Organize ) squadrons to blockade the free port.

It will give three things, and I say this from personal experience bringing OW frigate captains to work together from the ground up to exceptional shape and response time.

1. Organize it. Show enthusiasm and be gallant. People will follow.

2. Don't over strength the squadrons. Engaging 4 ships with 18 is a waste of resources. 14 could be out of the battle carrying the blockade and initiating more combats.

3. The two above will provide fun, game content and quality combat to all. Win some lose some. Learn a lot.

• Like 1

As I -and others- have proposed in other topics , the free ports perceived problem could be much tuned down (even maybe turned into an advantage) by  limiting all nations docking ships  in a free port  (i.e. up to 5th class) . This would help everyone the game , RvR would be concentrate to frontier areas  making easy to find "big pvp"  , and "rearward" would be roamed by more appropiate sized raiders 

• Like 1

I would make freeports more aggressive.  They should defend the freeport status.

For example, the forts should fire on any combat in range and fire at the biggest ship first... or perhaps fire on the attacking party.

You could also have a combat free circle around the freeport.  That would take the fight off the port and stop prairie dogging.