Game-Labs Forum

worth a buy for me personally? help plz

So thanks for all the responses - it gives me enough input to ask this last question. I like PVE, do not have to have PVP. I love ships of that era, I loved Pirates of the Burning Sea, and I am concerned with something; early access. In games that are MMO, the fan base can run off before features are implemented if the player base gets upset and gives up.  I do not mind buying into EA and helping squash bugs, if I get a little fun out of it. I do mind paying 40 bucks and there is no player base left at launch. 

Question: to the Naval Action fan base.....do you see the game maintaining a player base at launch that will support the game?

In the mean time, if pirate NPCs and ships are dynamic and there are things to do for fun not requiring interaction with real players then I am ok with that. Thanks all.

• Like 1

Well, if you are into PvE you'll be very pleased to know there is a PvE server (we have PvP1, PvP2 USA and PvE). The PvE server is basicaly the same as the PvP server, it has the same open world, same ships, etc. It has real players in it, but you can only fight AI. You can do the following things on the PvE server without the need of anybody else:

- Attack AI sailing in the OW (there are plenty around from small ships to large ships)

- Do combat missions 1vs1 or fleet missions (you and friendly Ai vs Enemy Ai).

- De delivery missions (deliver goods to a capital), mostly rare and expensive goods that take a long sail, but the rewards is very nice

- Do regular trading, buy low and sell high at another port = profit

- Build production buildings and use those resources to craft ships to your liking.

-Next patch will bring PvE tournaments, where you fight AI and can win stuff if you're on the leaderboards.

You can group up with friends on the PvE server, and do missions together etc. if you want relaxing sessions without having to worrie about getting attacked, this will be your thing. Do note, I have played like only one hour on PvE, so I don't know if I missed some things. But I'm sure people will correct me.

Its important to know that the rank XP and craft XP you have are shared among the servers, gold and assets are server specific. But you can get the grips in PvE and then switch to PvP1 or 2 to see if its your cup of tea without losing anything.

The PvE server however is the least populated one of the three, with about 50 - 80 people I think. But you don't need a single other player to be able to enjoy this game. Howeve seeing other people sail around is more fun then only seeing AI.

I am not worried about the player base, people come back to check out patches, its work in progress, its a niche game, the core mechanics are top notch and rock solid. You won't be throwing money away on this, its a ton of fun.

This game is right now getting a lot of negative reviews atm which is mainly because of as reported above the harshness of the crafting model.

Choose the right nation right now and you be on the side that has all the best wood types allowing them to build the best ships available to thier nation.

The devs in an effort are trying to make it hard to get 1st rate ships of the line hence the difficulty getting the best wood types only 2 ports have that wood the devs did this out of historical accuracy and the need to slow 1st rate production at the highest quality.

it was also designed to encourage PvP and make particular ports worth something fighting for. But the devs made a mistake making it harder for players to get PvP because they made it harder to get the best ship as players only want the best ships and the ability to sail the best ship by crafting them is so hard atm that many have taken another break from the game.

then there are the die hards like myself who just get on with it sail around get ganked lose a ship return to port get another ship or another version of the same ship and go on my merry way. At the end of the day we are testers we know the game is not finished the negativity comes at the moment because we perceive the devs are not listening but they are and the changes they make to test are invariably at the tester behest.

The devs cannot please us all the time I remember at the launch of this patch there was quite a few people who now are missing now that we're giving it the big thums up but have since left and written poor reviews for the game which really just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

i look at it this way in the past I would buy a game for £30 play it through approx 20 - 30 hours of gameplay and thought I had gotten a good deal, now I buy games to play online against real people so my £30 goes a lot farther games like Age of Sail 2, Battlefield 1942, BF2, BF3, Pirates of the Burning Seas, Scourge of War Gettysburg, that list of games covers the range of games I have bought for online PVP over the last 15years. I was a tester in PotBS and played it for 2 years before the advent of spells and micro purchases for special items and the I win buttons.

So as to this game don't expect it to tickle your fancy all the time it sure as hell won't but the combat mechanics are one thing the devs have done amazingly well you will not be disappointed. The graphics, sound and immersion is really good and will probably get better over time and in my opinion is one game that requires to be in your list of game played.

• Like 1

My answer to this question is: I have a lot of Steam games, and even though NA is only under alpha stage development I have more concentrated hours in only a few other games, and those are masterpieces such as Civ 5.  So NA hasn't even reached final release and I've gotten my money's worth out of it already.  I lean more toward pve than pvp, but play on a pvp server, and it's fun.  You'll find a lot of whining here on this forum, but you'll also find a lot of interaction, suggestions, applauds for developers, promising patch plans, and generally a lot of interest and conversation, and that should indicate the game still thrives.  Sure a whole lot of players have either taken a break or left, but I chalk that up to not being able to make progress in a real fashion yet, because wipe's have come and will come again, and essentially you're just a tester now, and that can get old.  It's a niche game with generally smaller numbers of followers, so the success of this game might in the end be dependent on how many faithful followers it can gain and keep.  I don't think it's a waste of money, but it may be a waste of your time if you want to set out from the beginning with goals of not losing anything before release (since more wipes are coming).

• Like 2

Spud, Lie, and Jean,

Great breakdown and input. I truly believe you have sold this game for me. Spud, I certainly appreciate your feedback.  I can't say I would want to stay on just PVE, because I like a fear factor.  I was just saying that playing a game for PVE is fine for me, I do not require a million online players to have fun. My main fear is the player base running off due to people being angry and then the game fails before launch.  If that were going to be the case, I would want to get good money out of it prior, and it seems based on your three feedbacks, that the money would not be wasted.  Now,...who do I play for : ) .......I am so new at sailing that if my starter ship is a row boat, I will have to go to school to lean how to captain "The Jolly Canoe" ..................what Nation do you guys recommend? also, do you see a sale on this game for black Friday? or should I grab it now?

Thanks

Jean,

Also bring the wipes....its fine...I have 1 goal in games....well 2 rather....have fun and feel like my character is alive...and two avoid my wife from screaming at me for being on too long.

Prior to the release, I will just take risks and experiment and have fun.

Can a player of my style survive in a game like this? I would get on sail, see sights, fight some AI, maybe dab in PVP....try to make a friend or two....but would probably never be able to get so committed that I can craft, and be an upper member in some guild....my wife and kids would not allow it.....on the weekends I do have hours to play though.

29 minutes ago, Sparrow6 said:

Jean,

Also bring the wipes....its fine...I have 1 goal in games....well 2 rather....have fun and feel like my character is alive...and two avoid my wife from screaming at me for being on too long.

Prior to the release, I will just take risks and experiment and have fun.

Can a player of my style survive in a game like this? I would get on sail, see sights, fight some AI, maybe dab in PVP....try to make a friend or two....but would probably never be able to get so committed that I can craft, and be an upper member in some guild....my wife and kids would not allow it.....on the weekends I do have hours to play though.

Your intended playstyle is similar to mine, Sparrow.  I do majority pve, including trading and AI fighting, but also pvp as it arises, while playing on a pvp server.  I am a clan member but in a small one, and don't prefer teamspeak although I use it occasionally.  If that's your playstyle you'll find plenty to do (even if some hardcore pvpers sneer at that style).  Right now for NA your first real decision when choosing your faction should be the server you choose for your main character.  There are tons, and I mean tons, of posts on this forum about a server merge between the two pvp servers, good or bad.  We argue it all the time.  PVP1 is located in Europe and PVP2 is located on the east coast of the USA.  PVE server is somewhere in the abyss, I have no idea where, but I've seen it speculated also in Europe.  That's the current configuration, which for PVP2 - in general, not for everyone - provides the best performance in USA and Australia, and maybe Canada too.  (Whatever current players are reading this, please don't start another merger/non-merger war-thread here).  I play on pvp2 France, which is one of the smaller factions.  If you should choose such a life as mine, you are welcome and we will help you get started with whatever you need, and help you with learning the game.  ;)  Just as a caution, currently on pvp1 there are fewer English speaking clans for France, and maybe other factions too.

7 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

not really true... We do have a good number of English speaking players in the French Nation on PVP1.

OK, I believe you.  But although I don't play there, I did create a character there on pvp1 for France, and asked about clans.  If I recall correctly I was told by the French players there was one English speaking clan, and maybe two that I would find.  I only asked the one time, but that was about a month ago.