Game-Labs Forum

Multiplayer Metagame observations

Nice edits "...Taxes". I agree with your meta observations for map 1.

Playing most as union i'm stuck with two additional questions .

1. do you hang your arty back behind the lines and let them shoot long or push them like miny tanks into the line?

2. do you run your final reinforcements in and make their condition go down or walk them in and maybe get their very late. I'm thinking the walk is best and push Rebels back off the ridge if they took it while you wait for yours to wander into play. I keep running them in only to have von gilsa run away at the first sign of a fight. Maybe he was tired after coming all that way from Germany. :-)

Fun games against you also last night by the way.

Since this is about the meta game, for the most part I think about what I would do in reality where feasible, and the golden key to a good game about battles like this is that the actions lead to credible results, so that historical tactics work.

Rifled guns belong on elevated gun platforms to take advantage of their range, while Napoleons are valuable in the front line on defense or in closer support on the attack. Concentration of fire is important, so usually two or three batteries will be operating from a position with enough room and scope of fire.  However, a battery of Napoleons in the front line to blunt an attack or force an opponent to back away is always an option, and the best way to counter the more formidable enemy troops.

It is important to keep fresh troops, particularly reserves, fresh and ready until committed, so I only run troops when there is an actual race that needs to be run, such as to a hilltop, crestline, or other key point.  Similarly, there is often the decision whether to leave worn troops in the line until spent, to shift them to a safer or more quiet spot, or pull them back and let them rest long enough to recover their force. Casualties taken are a major consideration, the command structure deteriorating with officer casualties and thereby limiting its efficiency even with a rest.  

Von Gilsa shouldn't have been tired - being a piano player in New York before going to war sounds like a relaxing job - maybe too relaxing? 

• Like 1

Nice edits "...Taxes". I agree with your meta observations for map 1.

Playing most as union i'm stuck with two additional questions .

1. do you hang your arty back behind the lines and let them shoot long or push them like miny tanks into the line?

When attacking with CSA I think ideal play is arty up the middle, pushing forward.  stop-and-start.  I'm not sure if leapfrogging is better.  I'd like to be able to keep my guns on canister and keep pushing at close range but it requires a reasonable amount of micro to ensure the guns are continually discharging.  Leapfrogging might be safer, in that you command your attacking brigade to fall back to reveal your loaded guns set on canister.  The reason I don't really do this is that it introduces the LoS issue where guns will not discharge into their own ranks.  The push up the center with the guns probably results in more casualties to reb batteries but I feel like it's a little easier to keep up the fire. 

2. do you run your final reinforcements in and make their condition go down or walk them in and maybe get their very late. I'm thinking the walk is best and push Rebels back off the ridge if they took it while you wait for yours to wander into play. I keep running them in only to have von gilsa run away at the first sign of a fight. Maybe he was tired after coming all that way from Germany. :-)

Fun games against you also last night by the way.

I walk them in and use the tricks of the trade to try to extend the battle when I can, if necessary.  Thanks for the great games! 

One little thing that can be useful in MP. Add a "Hold Fire" button. This may be useful in certain situations. Especially when it comes to assault/charging.

You need to fix the parameters for rear and flanking fire. Brigade, which was under such a fire should have a serious impact on morale. Should be broken much faster than before. 

Two Battle of McPherson's ridge games today as Union where CSA moved Pettigrew east and south along the edge of the map and then into Gettysburg.  

It's one of those moves where if Union does not see it, it could win, but if Union does see it, Pettigrew is completely disabled and USA batteries have a turkey looking down from Seminary or Oak ridge. 

I have to believe most opponents will see this coming from far away...

Two Battle of McPherson's ridge games today as Union where CSA moved Pettigrew east and south along the edge of the map and then into Gettysburg.  

It's one of those moves where if Union does not see it, it could win, but if Union does see it, Pettigrew is completely disabled and USA batteries have a turkey looking down from Seminary or Oak ridge. 

You played against me. Believe me, you won because of desynchronization. Both times. In one battle, I could not move Pettigrew out of town for a long time, and your units are fired and charged my units even though I saw them elsewhere. I could hear them charged, but I've seen them elsewhere. It was all one big mess. Both times. This tactic was successful almost every time. Pettigrew has to take and hold the top of the Ouk ridge, and the attack must be accompanied by intense pressure on the front line of the Union on Mc Pherson ridge. Unfortunately, when it comes to desyncs then it can not be done in a proper way.

• Like 1

Regardless of all that, the battles were very interesting and difficult. You are very experienced and disciplined opponent. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing the Devil's Den map.  Couple thoughts on how to set up as Rebels: 

- You can move all the way around to the right but it will take a lot of time

- Consider the middle as the jumping-off point.  Pincer the peach orchard. 

- Keep those guns up and enfilade! 

- Imperative to protect northern re-enforcement route.  Union likes to move a division up right away and set up a turkey shoot at your starting area.  Need to flank this, drive them back, to secure the reinforcement route and launch attack on Cemetery Ridge. 

As Union: 

- That area around the wheatfield and peach orchard has potential for a canister smorgasbord if you can lure the Rebs there.  

- I feel like you can afford to sort-of ignore your center because Rebs seem to be in love with trying to swing around the Union right.  I'm not sure this is smart for rebels, there are just too many reinforcements coming up from V corps throughout the battle to sustain an attack on the Union right (if you launch it right away Union will see it coming and swing its reserve batteries to its right) 

- II Corps are your best troops so use them aggressively