Game-Labs Forum

Rewarding System (aka XP)

Gentlemen,

I believe that the current logic for getting XP is somewhat odd and does not reward efficency.

Why is that? 

To get the maximum of XP out of a battle, you have to shoot the armour of your enemy into pieces before you sink him. You then get the maximum XP for the damage and additional XP for the kill. It doesn't matter how much you get damaged during this battle.

If you sink the enemy fast without (or with less) damage on your own ship, you won't be rewarded by damage XP and you even don't get the XP for the kill (which seems to be very odd).

If you manage to board and capture the enemy ship fast without doing serious damage to him, more or less, you just get the Gold for selling your prize to the admirality. Almost no XP rewards.

In other words: If you're doing your job well, you're not rewarded. Do it bad and you'll get the maximum reward.

My suggestion: 

- Don't reward damage on enemy ships that high.

- Add a XP malus for taken damage Add a XP bonus that decreases by taking damage

- Reward fast kills as well

- Reward captures like kills and subtract the cost of repair of the prize from the payment of admirality

Edited by Dick Brave
  • Like 1

Id like more of a different System, that you get XP for multiple things,

- Damage blocked ( -> Not peentrating hits)

- Enemy Modules Destroyed

- Give maybe an XP Bonus for a demast.

But i dont like the idea of malusses.

• Like 1

- Damage blocked ( -> Not peentrating hits)

- Enemy Modules Destroyed

- Give maybe an XP Bonus for a demast.

Good ideas, worth thinking about.

But i dont like the idea of malusses.

I can understand that, but at least that would reward you if you could manage (almost) not to get hit by your enemy. I believe that's worth some kind of reward.

Gentlemen,

I believe that the current logic for getting XP is somewhat odd and does not reward efficency.

Why is that? 

To get the maximum of XP out of a battle, you have to shoot the armour of your enemy into pieces before you sink him. You then get the maximum XP for the damage and additional XP for the kill. It doesn't matter how much you get damaged during this battle.

If you sink the enemy fast without (or with less) damage on your own ship, you won't be rewarded by damage XP and you even don't get the XP for the kill (which seems to be very odd).

If you manage to board and capture the enemy ship fast without doing serious damage to him, more or less, you just get the Gold for selling your prize to the admirality. Almost no XP rewards.

In other words: If you're doing your job well, you're not rewarded. Do it bad and you'll get the maximum reward.

My suggestion: 

- Don't reward damage on enemy ships that high.

- Add a XP malus for taken damage

- Reward fast kills as well

- Reward captures like kills and subtract the cost of repair of the prize from the payment of admirality

I like the idea of it but not for the maluses as it will be impossible for newcomers to have xp as I recall being killed and not killing the opponent for my very first missions and if I wouldn't even get gold or xp for my sorrow it would be very frustrating ... it's not only an historic simulation tending to be a research tool on how sailors lived, it's game so everyone should enjoy it so maybe you should have only bonuses like for exemple an xp bonus based on the hull ratio left between you and your ennemies or the damage ratio I don't know.

But it need to be tuned and rationalized based on the base hull difference or else you'll get huge xp by sinking a cutter with santi (extreme exemple though)

maybe something based on the actual average players result (on that ship against that ship)

Btw thank you Brave Dick for making us think on this topic ;)

Edited by Galaksee

I like the idea of it but not for the maluses as it will be impossible for newcomers to have xp as I recall being killed and not killing the opponent for my very first missions and if I wouldn't even get gold or xp for my sorrow it would be very frustrating ...

You made a valueable point here. I understand that the malus idea isn't that good as I thought first.

But than we can add a bonus instead - based on how much one is damaged after a kill he will get full(undamaged) or no (nearly crippled to dust) bonus XP. Same idea, get a reward for doing good tactical work and maneuvering, but no malus system so it would be better vor newcomers.

Good ideas, worth thinking about.

I can understand that, but at least that would reward you if you could manage (almost) not to get hit by your enemy. I believe that's worth some kind of reward.

Maybe you could introduce both to some extend, give Reward for blocked, and get some malusses for going trough.

Maybe you could introduce both to some extend, give Reward for blocked, and get some malusses for going trough.

This could be a solution as well.

Finally it's not that easy to keep a good balance between gameplay and simulation needs as Galaksee mentioned. However, I believe, that it's necessary to find something different and a good discussion here could help the developers to find out the right thing (I hope).