Game-Labs Forum

movies on TCM

Capt Hornblower

I've also been acquainted with The Sea Hawk since a young age. If you're looking for more Errol Flynn in similar swashbuckler roles, try The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), and Adventures of Don Juan (1948). They're not naval-related, but they're still fun movies. If you're looking for another older naval film set in the Age of Sail, you could try Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951), with Gregory Peck. 

Most old flicks are public domain already in most internet platforms. IIRC Youtube even has a specific channel for that.

this is not true at all and they are not public domain...The first writer/director or who ever had the copyright has it for the first 50 years..or until death then it reverts to the family and then can be extended. Very few films are in the public domain. and most are from failure to renew the copyrights..

So this movie was not on TCM, but yesterday I managed to watch "Admiral", streaming from Netflix.  I don't know if anyone here has seen that movie yet, but it's worth watching.  I was immersed the whole movie.

It is loosely based on naval and diplomatic history around the times of the brothers DeWitt and Admiral De Ruyter in Dutch history in the 17th century.  So it's a little bit before the timeframe of this game, but quite relevant and neat to see the many ship battles that were filmed (or perhaps created).  If you enjoy this game, my guess is you'd enjoy this movie.  There's a persona on this forum named for this admiral BTW.  If you have a weak stomach, take a break during the gruesome murders of the DeWitts. ;)

MdR_Trailer_Stills_11_xl.jpg

• Like 1