Game-Labs Forum

Bribe to enter enemy ports

As a pirate, I like to sail around in enemy waters and dock at free ports. This is just a suggestion as devs are considering the pirate role. Let pirates pay to enter enemy ports, to take a break or hide from chasers. Don't allow these bribers to see port chat or use port shops. Although this can probably be exploited somehow. Just throwing out the idea. ????

It's a good idea, but without limitations it would immediately run off the rails, with pirates using it to jump players as they left the port, basing whole SoL fleets there, blockading, etc.

Workable limitations would involve stripping players' right to enter the port if you catch them entering or leaving.

Trying to bribe one's way in should only be needed after other means have not been successful. This should, however, be an option for all players, not just pirates. For pirates this does seem like a rather common sense tactic, but for nationals it should carry more weight. 

I think the first option should be an attempt to sneak into a port. If you are caught, you can attempt to bribe the guard/magistrate/whomever.

Also, the size/importance of the town you are trying to sneak into should also have an effect on the price asked. If you are at war with the port you are trying to enter, bribery may not be an option, that or the price will be substantially increased.

However I do believe everyone shoul at least first have the option to attempt to first sneak into ports. If they are caught, they can try a bribe. Both can carry significant ramifications, perhaps attempting a bribe from the get-go can save time and risk of sneaking in: Pirate Havens, Port Security, and Trade Regulations